Glow-in-the-dark 'toonie' celebrates Canada's 150th

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/28/glow-in-the-dark-toonie-ce.html

2 Likes

Aw, it’s just ink and not some sort of actual glowing substance?

Painted/colored coins are all over, but if this is actually in circulation, that is the first I’ve heard of anyone doing that.

2 Likes

I’m glad you like our new spy coin!

3 Likes

Well, I know what I’m going to pick up immediately…

6 Likes

But is the glow in the dark paint scratch and sniff maple?

4 Likes

To be more Canadian, the two people in the canoe should be having sex.

ETA:

5 Likes

Is that a euphemism for American beer?

6 Likes

It could be, but it’s also a well-known saying about one of the skills of a true Canadian.:wink:

3 Likes

That expression more properly dates back to when there were only the major American brands available, and the various state drinking laws resulted in oddities like only being able to buy 3.2% beer in Vermont, if under 21, on a Sunday, before the spaghetti harvest.

1 Like

Hilariously this was IN THE NEWS this week.

5 Likes

To get the new glow-in-the-dark $2 "Toonie, there is no need to purchase the expensive set of rolled coins from the Canadian Mint.
The Toonie is also available in this 5-coin collection from the mint for a lot less money (in Canada and USA):
http://www.mint.ca/store/campaign/MCMIFilledCollectorCard-6800016

7 Likes

Thanks for the tip, and welcome to BoingBoing!

4 Likes

The glow-in-the dark Toonie design is indeed cool, but the others IMHO reek of ‘design competition’ blase and inconsistency. I loved the '67 set, and was looking forward to this year’s series. On the plus side, the $10 bill is keen, and this year’s WWI series and WWII aviation coins are traditionally well done. There is also a 4 coin glow-in-the-dark set of non-circulation silver coins; the designs are appropriately cool, but they are overpriced and superfluous.

In unrelated news, Ontario Power Generation is said to be cancelling its nuclear dump site plan.

2 Likes

I got a couple of these in my change already.

Unfortunately, I use cash so infrequently there’s little to no chance of getting one of these organically.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.