Lookit the stupid!

What piece of dumb, stupidity have you seen on Facebook today?

3 Likes

I fixed it. See below!

10 Likes

I don’t know if that is actually a proposal for the Canadian flag or if its some commemorative thing but the design really is disgraceful.

It’s a commemorative thing. 150 years since confederation.

Canadians get free stuff this year, I read, like flags and pins and what not. I assume this design will be one of the options for the free temp tat? So it’s, you know, important.

3 Likes

If its important and going to be publicly displayed at a variety of sizes, maybe some more thought could have been put into the design. For example at a small size all I see is the center red part with a int of the dark blue at the top, all the other colors kind of fade out. Scaled up I can see that someone might have thought this was a sort of variant maple leaf but even still the array of angle shapes and colors used delayed that recognition.

In short, small: unrecognizable, large: confusing

It is really a hot mess of design problems.

Ok, anyone who makes a “but people died for it!” argument that asinine gets fed to ravenous sacred cows. New policy.

Now, with that out of the way; hopefully they can fix the graphic design before it’s too late.

3 Likes

With less than two weeks to go? I don’t think so.

2 Likes

Wait. You guys convinced me to get out of Facebook. Now you want me to go back?!

7 Likes

Yeah, but you don’t have to go for long!

1 Like

I dunno about free, but we do have official swag!

I think the pin is lovely, but scaled large on a flag its a little weird.

3 Likes

At least Canada always gets the right species of maple leaf on their currency.

1 Like

Absolutely. The 67 design worked because there were 11 provinces and two territories. Balance got thrown off on this modified version of '67 because the northerners looked at NWT and wanted Nunuvat.

1 Like

I can’t tell if this is a pun or not.

6 Likes

To quote the Ottawa Citizen:

To the dismay of design professionals, the federal government has chosen an image crafted by a 19-year-old student as its logo for the 150th anniversary of Confederation.

Though if they had hired professionals, I’m sure the headline would be about all the money they “wasted”.

6 Likes

If I recall my history correctly, there were lots of whiny complaints in 60’s Facebook (aka letters to the editor) about this big, dumb maple leaf.

…plus ça change.

5 Likes

How quickly they forget. :wink:

7 Likes

That really explains it all. Thanks for that.

3 Likes

What does the logo represent?
The logo is composed of a series of diamonds, or “celebratory gems”, arranged in the shape of the iconic maple leaf. The four diamonds at the base represent the four original provinces that formed Confederation in 1867: Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Additional diamonds extend out from the base to create nine more points—in total representing the 13 provinces and territories.

The Canada 150 logo is an evocative symbol and will become an enduring reminder of one of Canada’s proudest moments. The maple leaf motif is recognized at home and abroad as distinctively Canadian, and it fosters feelings of pride, unity and celebration. This unique design is simple enough to be drawn by children, and versatile enough to be used in a host of applications. The possible uses of the symbol are as unlimited as the spirit and imagination of the Canadian public.

4 Likes

Well at least no one can say that the govt wasted money there, those PR consultants really delivered!

While the second paragraph there is marketing-speak, the first paragraph explains the diamonds that you expressed confusion over.

1 Like