GM CEO Mary Barra can't answer if it's fair that workers make peanuts compared to her $30 million (video)

I refuse to eat the rich… but I will prepare them for you and cook them to your liking.

4 Likes

So, 30 mil annually is technically in the realm of “fuck you money”. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Wow. That graph tells you everything. Thanks for sharing that. I’m bookmarking that to share elsewhere.

That’s absolutely true, but I know people who think the workers should get a raise but that 40% is an unreasonable ask. It clearly isn’t unreasonable, and it’s helpful to be able to show people why.

10 Likes

Nope, bc the greedpigs can’t get enough. There is no level of fuck you money to them, bc there is never enough. They must get more and more and more every year, even though one year is enough for their entire family line to live on, forever, at a higher quality of life than 99% of humanity.

6 Likes

Archive link:
https://archive.ph/w4Vpg

5 Likes

Yeah, THIS. So fucking tired of “well, actually…” applied to labor disputes. You’re on the side of the workers, or you’re on the side of parasites. Full stop.

9 Likes

I think I’d be more angered if the CEO came out and boasted they took a $10MM pay cut so I could get a $200 bonus that year. People generally aren’t good at scales. $10MM divided among the ~46,000 UAW workers is almost laughable. I agree with Gatto that the top CEO pay should be X times linked to lowest pay in the company. The idea that her working for free would have had a meaningful monetary impact across all the workers isn’t there.

Then there are all the other people that GM employs that aren’t UAW. If the UAW worker on the line now have a similar total compensation package to your engineer who is designing the products they are build that’s going to cause a problem.

2 Likes

That graph doesn’t tell you anything other than the average hourly pay in the ENTIRE US auto industry over the last 30 years. In the same time you have had new comers and more factories produced that aren’t part of the Big 3. Most of your foreign auto makers and sole EV makers are not part of the UAW. Toyota, Honda, Mercedes, VW, Hyundai, and Tesla, ect… The hourly wage of those factories could be high for the area they are located in, but it certainly may be below the average UAW hour pay.

Meanwhile, the CEO of Toyota made just shy of 7 million dollars in the fiscal year ended March 31, 2023, while the CEO of Nissan made about 2/3 that and the CEO of Honda made more like 1/3 that. Still a lot of money, but not quite “fuck all of you” money.

6 Likes

Why would that be a problem? I was an engineer for 15 years in the HVAC industry. If the assembly line workers got significant pay raises, I likely would as well, maybe after some delay. I fail to see the problem. Also, the fucking engineers should unionize, too. They’re also underpaid. Everyone outside of the C-suite is underpaid, imo.

16 Likes

Pirate and Privateer captains back in the day are said to have earned only double the share of a crew member. :man_shrugging:

11 Likes

She already makes 500 times as much as they do, and she’ll make it 600 if she can.

3 Likes

the cat signal has been raised!

don’t forget that she’s not the only executive in the company. only the chief. if you add up all of the executive pay and perks, you would get i imagine quite a nice chunk of change to redistribute

but still… covering the costs of worker pay raises with executive pay is less important than being somewhat reasonably fair.

lower top pay, raise top taxes, and increase social spending. it will create a much more fair and just society. the gap between the 1% and everyone else causes huge problems… and things are currently wildly out of whack

17 Likes

Wait - you’re mistaking my edit suggestion to someone else’s post as a policy proposal?

If I were making a policy proposal, I would tax executive compensation such that their total comp, including bonuses, stock & options, and perks was inversely proportional to the difference from the median or mean pay of their workers & contractors, whichever is lower.

In other words, the more equitable the pay, the more they get to keep.

This. My uncle was a non-union engineer at a UAW facility. His pay and benefits were all higher because of what the union negotiated.

100%. Even without an increased pay, the improvement in benefits and job security would be game-changing. Twice in my career I’ve lost my job due to the whims of a new, incompetent & insecure manager. Unions provide a buffer against that kind of petty, frivolous turnover that harms workers and companies alike.

17 Likes

Board meetings are hard to attack with boats, but life finds a way. I’m in.

6 Likes

why? Why is one form of labor inherently MORE valuable than another?

7 Likes

Because workers never get to set the pay scale.

6 Likes

I’m all for wealthy legislators made to try surviving on what they claim to be a “living wage” when it comes to policy proposals favoring corporate interests over workers, too. Of course, they’d probably claim they’re too busy for that. So a basic budget challenge involving average monthly costs of living for their constituents working a full-time job paying minimum wage should be enough. With a calculator, it shouldn’t take anyone an hour to figure out workers in that situation won’t be able to make ends meet.

Calculating Oh No GIF by MOODMAN

@allenk That chart on hourly pay is something I hope to see in other industries where workers are going on strike / unionizing because of substandard wages.

7 Likes

Any crew member who’d particularly distinguished himself in battle, etc would also get a larger share. Crew members who lost limbs would get extra, based on a scale developed by officers and crew, and voted on by all those aboard. Most pirate ships were far more democratic than people realize, and in some ways much more so than current gov’ts.

9 Likes

Boats? We don’t need boats as such…

8 Likes