Go glamping in a Conestoga wagon near Yosemite

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/19/go-glamping-in-a-conestoga-wagon-near-yosemite.html

2 Likes

19 Likes

That should be a shirt.

8 Likes

There looks like some serious Whovian ‘Inside is bigger than the outside’ stuff going on in those pics.

4 Likes

That’s because many people don’t realise how giant those wagons were. Much bigger than usually depicted in 50s westerns.

5 Likes

You have died of dysentery irony

Don’t come knocking if the wagon’s rocking

4 Likes

Heat and air-con in a canvas-covered space?

Fuck the planet. Oh, they are!

5 Likes

educate me: glamping = glamour camping? or something else?

1 Like

Pretty much, being out amongst nature without having to “suffer” any change from the comforts of home. Used to be called “renting a cabin”.

4 Likes

got it. I’m not much for camping, but even less for kidding myself.

1 Like

With a glass table? Really? Is there also a TV?

1 Like

Any chance “Donner Kebobs” are on the dinner menu? Asking for a cannibal.

6 Likes

I refill my water bed whenever I ford a river.

2 Likes

Cool to know. But I was just going by the apparent width of the steps and doorway versus the ginormous king-sized bed and furniture shown inside (wide angle lens notwithstanding).

Thought of making a similar joke but didn’t quite have the appetite for it. :upside_down_face:

(FWIW- Wifey is distantly related to the Illinois Reeds, who were part of the Donner party (though not on the menu), so jokes like this are a fairly regular thing in our household).

2 Likes

True, because most of the wagons used for western expansion beyond the Missouri were rarely, in fact, Conestoga. The Conestoga was too big and heavy for the prairie crossing. So the smaller wagons depicted would have been more period accurate, but calling them Conestogas would not.

Most modern illustrations of covered wagons, for example, depict the huge and lumbering Conestoga, with its boat shaped bed and sloping sides, its cover overhanging front and rear to give the whole a “swayback” appearance. Originating about 1750 in Pennsylvania, it flourished for a century. But it was almost never used beyond the Missouri except by freighters along the Santa Fe Trail. The Conestoga was uselessly heavy for the long pull to Oregon or California, and most of the few that were ill-advisedly taken on that journey had to be abandoned somewhere along the road.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.