God damn you 2020

Get a room, you two!

(Making eggs in a non-stick pan.)

Sigh. I hate the weight of cast iron: I need to invest in some ceramics.

10 Likes

Check out Lodgeā€™s carbon steel skillet! Iā€™ve switched to that for everyday use and donā€™t envision ever buying non-stick again. Itā€™s light and maneuverable, and with just a smidge of oil totally nonstick.

8 Likes

Thanks, Iā€™ll give them a shot. My partner loves cast iron; I get to wash it after she cooks curried fishā€¦

For me itā€™s about over-easy eggs in the morning. Reviews suggest thereā€™s a learning curve.

6 Likes

I donā€™t want to derail the topic, but what you say here is true. In my experience, preheating the pan and hitting it with a few shots with an oil sprayer (not Pam) ensures my omelettes all release beautifully.

To bring it around to 2020, it was this year that I bought the pan and have been really pleased. So, I guess itā€™s not all bad? ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Edited because grammar.

4 Likes

Donā€™t tell Doc, but I use an insufficiently researched ā€œceramicā€ skillet for that. Largely because I canā€™t justify the energy required to bring ten pounds of iron up to temp.

5 Likes

Via The Daily Cartoonist

13 Likes
6 Likes

I cook over-easy eggs in a 25 year old black as pitch cast iron skillet that absolutely nothing sticks to. Yes, I add a smidge of butter, but, i mean, eggs without butter? Thatā€™s just crazy talk!

13 Likes

I think this has been true for a while now, I feel like I read about it a couple of years ago.

8 Likes

The compromise, aides said, preserved Toomeyā€™s goal but retained the Fedā€™s existing powers to restart similar facilities in the future.

Could something be worse than having no Covid relief bill? Weā€™re about to find out, but not until Biden takes office.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/lawmakers-reach-deal-on-fed-dispute-clearing-way-for-covid-relief-package

5 Likes
15 Likes

The gift that keeps on giving!

8 Likes

Hallelujah! Holy shit! Whereā€™s the Tylenol?

9 Likes

Well, my father suddenly died on October 31. He was 80 and had developed a number of pesky health issues over the last years, but nothing that was considered anything close to life threatening. He went on a walk with his girlfriend and suddenly felt tired and sat himself under a tree and never got up again. Now that weā€™ve buried him, I notice that the circumstances of his death (strong fatigue over weeks, then sudden heart death without pre-history) sound a lot like the long-term effects of Covid19. But itā€™s very hard here, to get information about the post mortem examination, even for the closest relatives. A shit year indeed. Only two years ago, when I told friends about my father, I made a point how he at 78 was still far more fit and sporty than me at 39. Fuck you 2020, donā€™t let the door hit your ass on the way out.

21 Likes

OK, so I read through this and, you know what? God damn 2020 still.

13 Likes

And even then, I question two of these (3, 6). We are NOT ready for the next pandemic as long as individual rights are more important than keeping society safe. Also, while we know what may work to help ameliorate poverty, we canā€™t get our elected representatives to do anything about this.

I concur with you. God damn 2021 can go to hell.

12 Likes

Thatā€™s good for my one cousin who lives in Bend, OR, I guessā€¦

8 Likes

I buy ā€œAmerica is likely to be readier for the next pandemicā€ only because it is extremely hard to imagine how it could be less.

16 Likes
17 Likes

Iā€™m sorry to hear about your loss. My father is 85, definitely frail now, but every day (weā€™re in ā€œpodā€) is a blessing for his four-year-old grandson.

14 Likes