Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

15 Likes
4 Likes

That happened to us, in a related way, in spring of 2003: one of my kids (a toddler at the time) dropped her doll on the tracks of the U-Bahn in Berlin. Obviously there was no way to retrieve it. We found an employee and pointed it out, not least because we weren’t sure if it would be considered a hazard.

When we went back the following day to take the U-Bahn again, the employee recognized us and gave back the doll.

We still talk about it, in the family and with our family friends in Berlin. A small act of kindness lasts forever.

23 Likes

loud fangirl squealing

15 Likes
11 Likes

No David Tennant?

I would write a screen play just to cast him as a laid back, positive, relaxed protagonist generally happy with the state of the world and the benevolence of the people around him… just to see if he could do it… :grin:

8 Likes

I’m okay with that. In contrast with GO, where I think having him as Crowley was perfect given the nature of the character, I think he would be distracting as Dream.

10 Likes

A little good news from :canada: for a change… :grin:

8 Likes
14 Likes

:balance_scale:

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

19 Likes

oh no shit show GIF by VH1

12 Likes

this is the best dissent i’ve read in a while. what adds poignancy not to mention pungency is the fact that the dissenting judge is a reagan appointee lambasting an unsigned ruling by a george w bush appointee and a trump appointee. the real fun starts on page 23 of the pdf and just keeps rolling. i love the third paragraph which begins–

"for every conceivable reason that the plaintiffs could lose this appeal they should. the statute does not allow the relief they seek. nor do our precedents; if they did, the supreme court has overruled them. if they have no been overruled, fifty years of precedent and centuries of anglo-american remedies law show that preliminary relief may not issue. if it could issue, it shouldn’t, because the only plaintiffs with standing claim no harm from the “impossible choice” between postjudgement relief and eternal damnation. if we accepted the plaintiffs’ theory and twisted the facts to support it, we must dismiss the appeal because the plaintiffs have not exhausted their administrative remedies. if we excused that, they do not answer united’s defenses, so they have not shown that they are likely to win. and if they had shown that, the equities and the public interest would preclude an injunction.

and then the justice starts getting really cutting.

note–my emphasis above.

read the whole thing here–

15 Likes

This is why banning books and anti-CRT efforts are doomed to fail:

19 Likes

To give some local background to the story:

• He and his wife live in Joliet, a stand-alone town far enough south and west of the metropolitan area that they probably only come to Chicago for specific events like this one.

• The violent racist lives in "the south suburbs’, so she may or may come to the city on a regular basis. She would certainly know that she was going to be spending the day in a 95+% Black community.

• The South Shore Cultural Center is a beautiful old (previously private white country club) property on Lake Michigan, often used for weddings and cultural events. I have never had anything other than a lovely time at any event there. It’s a great neighborhood. But you don’t go there if you’re prejudiced against Black people, because you’re not in an environment where you can assume everyone will either ignore or possibly even support your racist behavior.

16 Likes

From 2013, but hey, good news is good news: evergreen.

From Laughing Squid:

For his birthday, he went to the bank, paid off her house mortgage, and then presented her with the information. He says, “I just wanted to say that I am by no means a perfect son, for a long period I neglected my mothers needs, I ignored her calls and brushed her off until I needed something… Just before I started putting money aside my Father passed away, it had a great affect on me because of the kind of person he was. I decided to make a change, value the only parent I had left. I made what little changes I could day to day to make him proud, but her most of all.”

13 Likes

God Damn What GIF by SkinnyPop

4 Likes
15 Likes

… ohhh! That’s what they meant!

I thought at first the ACLU was suing the school district to ban those books (say what now?), but it’s suing because the school district banned those books.

That make much more sense.

Headline writing: it’s an art and a science.

11 Likes

Acknowledging past wrongs is a good start. As a next step, news organizations should put an end to their complicity in promoting stereotypes, fear-mongering, and copaganda:

A dearth of stories about issues relevant and important to non-white communities, and a failure to feature Black residents in stories of achievement and inspiration, rather than crime and poverty, on a level proportionate to that of their white counterparts.

More on this in a NYT op-ed piece:

16 Likes
5 Likes