Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 2)

(Her book Braiding Sweetgrass is glorious.)

7 Likes
7 Likes

Animation Cartoons GIF

I love me some brothers chaps!

7 Likes
7 Likes

6 Likes

This is a GREAT start. Now Colorado (and other states) should see what they can learn from Norway which has one of the lowest recidivism rates in the world. Just a few takeaways from 2022:

• Newer, more modern prison facilities aimed at teaching the inmates to live in society after they are released.
  • Remedial classes
  • Better accommodations.
  • Prison officers are trained for 2 to 3 years before being sent to work, with an emphasis on being humane, defusing violence and building relationships with the inmates.
8 Likes

Some interesting choices here.
Place: West Virginia.
Patients: several kinds of pathologies being treated.
Success rate: early days, but promising.
Methods: it’s pinpoint focused ultrasound nearly Star Trek state-of-the-art technology.

American neurosurgeon Ali Rezai is pioneering ways to try to help people with drug addiction and with Alzheimer’s disease. One experiment focuses beams of ultrasound on the brain.

6 Likes

IMG_1938

8 Likes

World’s first IVF rhino pregnancy ‘could save species’

12 Likes

City giraffe moved to country. He’s expected to get lucky.

9 Likes

As a naturalized Japanese citizen myself, I am happy to see this, even if it sparks controversy.

6 Likes

What’s Japanese or not. The Godzilla in the room.

6 Likes

An Iranian immigrant. Ironic if people like Trump (in more than one way) turn to Dr. Rezai’s science for help.

2 Likes
9 Likes

Let there be healing, wherever needed, as soon as possible.

There are numerous lists and articles on the contributions made by immigrants to the United States. Far more ironic (to me anyway) isn’t simply the famous immigrants like Albert Einstein, or Alexander Graham Bell, or Sergei Brin who made legendary, pioneering discoveries that capitalist culture lionizes, but the legions of immigrants whose help we North Americans benefit from nearly every day.

I’d wager that the overwhelming majority of meals eaten by TFG have been made of foods from slaughterhouses staffed by immigrants, produce (like the tomatoes in his ketchup) harvested by immigrants, etc. TFG is in contact with the fruits of immigrant labor every single day of his life, and any of us reading this right now who have not spent a searingly hot dry day or a freezing cold wet day out in ag fields picking what we eat (or slaughtering it) should be grateful for immigrant help.

And these immigrant farm workers do it under conditions unacceptable to human life, for wages often below human dignity–in Texas, where I am now, they earn $10-12/hour and they are required to work extremely long days in all weather.

This is supposed to be a good encouraging stuff thread, so the grinding sound you hear now is me attempting to get back on topic. Miracles do occur:

One of them is Mario Rodriguez, an educator who worked with Glenn for 12 years in the school district’s Migrant/Bilingual program. He has been active in the community since he came to the peninsula, volunteering to interpret in hospitals and helping at community events. Everybody knew him.

That’s why his arrest in July 2017 was so shocking. Rodriguez had stopped at the post office to check for a package and was getting out of his truck when ICE officers approached him. His arrest stunned even supporters of Trump’s harsh anti-immigrant policies. “The outrage in this community when they took Mario was unbelievable,” Serrano says. “Everybody was like, ‘Mario? Of all the people! No way!’”

Rodriguez filed for asylum and his case is moving through the immigration system. “At first I said, I will fight until the last minute,” Rodriguez says. “But now that it’s a long time, it’s a nightmare.”

Let there be light.

8 Likes

Only four months and a $9,500 fine, though. :frowning:

5 Likes
5 Likes
7 Likes

10 Likes

pie homophobia GIF by Hornet / Unicorn Booty

9 Likes