Good (Encouraging) Stuff

9 Likes

They don’t even know what a person who is good at mathematics would be called. “Expert mathematician” is not a thing.

13 Likes

“Here’s your sine?”

8 Likes

But he was a Mathlete!

7 Likes

Hey all you metal heads…

5 Likes
12 Likes

“Expert mathematician” is not a thing .

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Cedric Villani, Fields Medal Winner for 2014 is probably our best ambassador for math… (and he dresses like Dr. Who. :slightly_smiling_face: ) I went to his Fields Medal talk and he’s immensely entertaining and effective as an educator at a popular and expert level.

…but I do get your drift, “expert mathematician” is an odd thing to hold out as a qualification… :thinking:

4 Likes

He’s cosplaying.

11 Likes

What I mean is that “fields meal winner” is a thing. “Professor of combinatorics” is a thing. “PhD in Non-Euclidean Geometries” is a thing. Even a functional description likes, “is a mathematician employed by NASA” would be a thing.

And anyone with any of those qualifications might be described as an “expert mathematician” casually. But introducing someone as a “math expert” for your interview kind of gives away the game: there wasn’t another way to describe them that would actually mean something.

14 Likes

3 Likes

Caitlyn approves!

caitlin-doughty-skull-eyebrows

13 Likes

I have not seen the news yet myself, but my 19yo just texted to say that Britney is FREE!

16 Likes

Yup:

20 Likes

Good for her.

Even if she should make bad choices going forward, they’re hers to make, because she’s a freakin’ adult with agency.

I genuinely wish her the best.

19 Likes

While this is encouraging news that her dad is stepping aside, she is not free - the conservatorship is transitioning to a new conservator.

So, good news, progress, but not over yet

8 Likes
18 Likes

Good. Those pro-life anti-choice creeps should get a life.

14 Likes
10 Likes

If we had this during the 1970s in Kansas, it might have kept so much of the national political arena from veering into right-wing nuttery in the current time.

12 Likes

Agreed. The modern GOP is a combination of the dog whistling 68 Nixon campaign “southern strategy” combined with the culture wars of the Moral Majority, coupled with Reagan’s hysterical, militant anti-communism.

13 Likes