Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

21 Likes
23 Likes
20 Likes
12 Likes

Track too closely, though, and you get stitches.

Angry Lilo And Stitch GIF

9 Likes

Well… it’s something.

19 Likes

Clinton’s attorney, Drew Schnack, agreed with the ultimate verdict, saying the prosecution did not prove its case and the evidence was not strong enough to warrant a conviction.

Sure. Well, this happens all the time. Someone is convicted on the evidence presented, and then that same judge says “Eh, maybe not, this isn’t fair.” It almost never takes outside investigators years and years and years to overturn a conviction based on what is clearly false evidence. Especially if the defendant is a person of color. In those cases the judge always reconsiders, saying “you know what, this wasn’t fair and the person has suffered enough. I’m going to reverse this conviction” and everyone cheers.

FFS

9 Likes

I do not love 100% of the BBC’s work, but I have listened to this series (I am three episodes in–more to come in January and February), and it is very well put together. Even though I am a grumpy well-read human who tries to stay current about big issues and trends, I admit I learned a few things here:

Here’s their teaser for Episode 1:

QAnon and the plot to break reality.

A year on from the Capitol Insurrection in Washington DC on 6 January 2021, Gabriel Gatehouse journeys into the dark undergrowth of modern America. He’s looking for the origins of the story that drove the crowds to storm the heart of US democracy. From conspiracy-soaked barrooms in 1990s Arkansas, via spies in hotel rooms in the shadow of the Kremlin, to anarchic chatrooms on the early internet, this is a search for the answer to one big question: did this just happen, or is somebody trying to break reality?

Have listened inside the U.S., so it’s not geoblocked for U.S.ians (for now). A deep-dive survey course of “well, how did we get here?” (David Byrne voice).

I realize that the “Good (Encouraging) Stuff” angle may be hard to see in all this, because so much of the information (so far) has been unpleasant, unwelcome, and frankly depressing AF

but

as an ol’ pal said to me, “let there be light, 'cuz that’s when you can actually see the dang cockroaches” before explaining to me that cowboy boots with pointy toes are really good at squishing bugs that hide in the corners of a room. Bless her heart.

12 Likes

No transcripts available, as far as I can see. If that changes, please let us know!

10 Likes

Yeah, it’s… radio. I imagine because it’s pretty fresh, the transcripts are still in production.

Not a bad format to take in during house chores (I am so grateful I have my hearing after many years of loud music). The series so far has been intelligent, unsparing (there’s a truly awful account of Bill Clinton assaulting a woman–warning, please take note–and I sense there is more revelatory yuck of this kind in store for me) and I confess I have been learning some new things.

Here’s what I felt I needed after listening to that episode:

10 Likes

I would hear nothing if I tried to do that. I have an auditory processing disorder, so I have to really concentrate to understand what’s being said, especially when the speaker isn’t live in front of me, because in that case I would be able to read body language and lips at the same time.

12 Likes
24 Likes

Great Job Ok GIF

13 Likes
11 Likes

This is good, but in a fair world Martin should be in prison.

4 Likes

“ Shkreli is separately serving a seven-year prison sentence for securities fraud.”

18 Likes

A dear friend who was my neighbor for a while has a very similar issue, if I understand correctly.

I get it. She even trained me to face her when I talk to her, pause between sentences in a certain way, and speak in a way that she needed me to… and wow, was I flummoxed until I got her requirements down. And btw I am kinda impossible to train about most things.

Will keep an eye on the Beeb’s site to see if they launch transcripts, which are something I also want to have access to.

Thanks for giving me the heads up.

10 Likes

Haiku for Kathy

I did not know that
but now I sure do, and all
because of Partdeux.

12 Likes

It might not be a haiku:

Kyrsten Sinema
is the Tulsi Gabbard
of Joe Liebermans

But it’s true.