Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

That is not how this works.

I have been grossly overweight my entire adult life. In that time I have fought for, and earned, the love of an incredible partner, built a career including running the infrastructure for the sixth-largest website in the world, provided philanthropic security, hosting, and consulting services to a ton of org’s and amazing people, survived an early adulthood that literally had me sleeping on the street outside Toronto city hall, and, in the process of trying to deal with my weight, lost more (as in, over 50 pounds) than most people will in their lifetimes.

My entire family on the Mohawk side is overweight, despite us having been spread all over Canada & the US and having grown up culturally very different, with vastly different eating habits and activity cycles. My partner is tiny despite us essentially having extremely similar activity profiles and eating the same meals. I have been so frustrated by this one thing in my life that I have simply not been able to overcome that I am now considering permanently and irreversible altering my digestive system just to make permanent progress, at incredible expense, and the whole while feeling like I am a failure for having to take that step. All while being on the cusp of diabetic the entire time.

The idea that my problems could be solved with lifestyle changes or diet, or as @SovietCanuckStan said above, by ”curing teh stoopid” is so laughably out of touch with reality and at the same time depressingly common a stance that I find little solace in either. ”Fat people” are the last group of people it appears exist where folks think it’s ok to make fun of, and now, apparently to you and others, are even below the bar to deserve help and research to help end these lifelong diseases and cycles of pain, shame, and helplessness.

I appreciate you making your position clear to me, and those like me, who are suffering with our ”lifestyle choices.”

41 Likes