Good tweet from Tom Brokaw's account after bad ideas about hispanics

I mean, he kind of was - but in an approving way

2 Likes

Hey, we’ve got to respect the local culture of racism.

3 Likes

OK, a couple of quick takeaways from that:

But the fact is, on the Republican side, a lot of people see the rise of an extraordinary, important, new constituent in American politics, Hispanics, who will come here and all be Democrats.

Well yeah, but that’s not because Hispanics don’t share Republicans’ conservative values. As a group Hispanic immigrants tend to be more rural, more blue-collar, more culturally conservative, more family-centered and more churchgoing than their non-Hispanic counterparts. They just tend to become Democrats because Republicans are too racist to want them on their side.

You know, they ought not to be just codified in their communities but make sure that all their kids are learning to speak English, and that they feel comfortable in the communities.

I never got where this idea is coming from. I have yet to meet a single Hispanic person who grew up in the United States but never learned English.

6 Likes

Yeah, my asshole Uncle (who always looked down on my sister and I, as we were the first of the “non-Japanese kids” [read: only 1/2]) magically and suddenly changed his tune when my jackass irresponsible oldest son cousin married a very nice (and responsible) white woman who whipped his ass into shape, and then they had lovely hapa kids (just like my sister and I). Now he’s all about those “halfbreed” kids, and doesn’t seem to look down on the growing masses of them in my family.

I guess we just caught the shit because my Mom was a generation ahead of the game (and we weren’t in the direct bloodline descent from racist a-hole uncle…).

4 Likes

Canada’s Steven Harper noted this and worked very hard on getting immigrant votes. Canada is a very liberal country, so most people coming from most parts of the world will be more conservative than Canadians. Obviously in Canada it less about Mexican immigrants and more other parts of the world, but it’s still true.

Ten years later his party would attempt to win an election by saying they’d implement a “barbaric cultural practices tip line” to rat out your Muslim neighbours doing their genital mutilation and honour killings. Gee, I wonder why that party isn’t the natural home of immigrants?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.