Goodbye LDB game, Hello Whamageddon

Plus this edit, which is so good it’s like an unofficial part of the album for me:

3 Likes

Want to win?

Yes! Desperately, passionately yes!

Unfortunately I have already lost and continue to do so.

2 Likes

Well none of us made you click on those links…

1 Like

To this day, I’ve never heard that song on the radio, in a store etc. I didn’t even know about it until a friend brought it up (we were joking back and forth about ♫ Dee-li-lah ♫, via whom I’ve not heard the song). He couldn’t believe I didn’t know about it, and sent me Patton Oswalt’s bit about the song. At that point, I watched/listened to part of the song on YouTube just to see what he was talking about, but I’ve still yet to involuntarily hear it (and we listen to plenty of Christmas music in the car, running errands etc.).

As for “Last Christmas,” I’ve heard this countless times over the past 6 or 8 years but I don’t remember hearing it at all before that. I certainly don’t remember hearing it when Wham! was still together, and I was an adolescent at the time, it seems it would’ve been pretty hard to avoid. (Does it count if I’ve heard a cover of the song, but not the original version?)

EDIT: I honestly like “All I Want for Christmas is You” (I won’t link to it, based on the presumption that plenty of others probably do not share my opinion). But that’s another one I don’t remember hearing until 5 years ago (and that was a cover version).

What’s weird is that it was ubiquitous for a few years there – I couldn’t get through half an hour of radio or shopping in a store in December without hearing it – but I haven’t heard it once in the past two years. I almost wonder if Patton’s bit killed it.

1 Like

Maybe it’s regional? I’m in frozen Canuckistan, and I heard it a bunch last year. In Toronto we have a radio station–CHFI–that makes a big deal of their Christmas music. If its cheezy, and if its Christmassy, you can bet they’ll play it at least once.

I’m a fan of the Verve Christmas mixes, and just discovered Pink Martini’s Christmas album.

1 Like

This cover will lift your spirits.

1 Like

Holy Shit Whamageddon is impossible.

There are over 140 different cover versions of that song to date. I just made a quick and dirty graph on the number of cover versions which come out every year (excluding 2017, since not over yet):

WTF was with 2011, right?

@gyrofrog, check it out, Peak “Last Christmas”.

1 Like

Cover versions of Last Christmas do not count. A legitimate Whammening must be George.

3 Likes

I stumbled upon this Pentatonix version.

Not my favorite of theirs, but not bad.

1 Like

There’s some great Christmas songs on this album (which I’d originally found in a bargain bin years ago.) Here’s their take on Little Drummer Boy.

*many of the songs on that album are NSFW, but this one is safe.

1 Like

Where is the fun in that? Also hmm dirge version of the drummer boy… somehow this captures how I feel about most versions of this song.

1 Like

“To play this game, you just have to avoid hearing Wham!'s 1984 Christmas hit “Last Christmas” from December 1 to midnight on December 24.”

Can’t be done.

1 Like

I do my best to avoid the shopping meccas… that helps a lot with it.

2 Likes

BTW, no disrespect to Vince Guaraldi - he was one of the best, ever - but this is THE christmas album:

2 Likes

this video is not available :crying_cat_face:

Works for me, playing it right now from the posted link. ?!?

would you be not in the USA?

Most deceidedly so.
Sleepless in Krautistan.

1 Like