Goodbye to the racist statue of Roosevelt and two people of color outside NYC's Natural History Museum

12 Likes

I suggest that they replace it with a statue of Teddy riding on the back of a velociraptor.

12 Likes

Great point. Roosevelt was pretty progressive for the time. “Maybe we shouldn’t let people just strip the land of all natural resources. Maybe we shouldn’t let people put poisonous additives in food. Maybe a company can have too much power.”

While obviously full of other faults, like you said, lots of better qualities to remember him by.

This statue, which have never seen before, is just full of “WTF”? Reading the linked article, it was commissioned after his death in 1925 and unveiled in 1940 (that was a long damn time.) Still in the time of Jim Crow and monuments of white supremacy were going up all over the place. I feel like that is what was going on here as well.

13 Likes

Statues where the subject did in fact do good things but were problematic in other areas maybe shouldn’t be removed, but have the problematic part footnoted in the statue bio so people get the full picture with a more accurate history, and can recognize the contribution made but not idolize the statue subject. Though I suppose being a statue, it is already literally an idol. But yea, this one just needs to go.

How about a VR exhibit?

As a former art history student, and an occasionally-artistic person, I cringe at the thought of destroying art, even racist statues of a bygone (but not totally gone) era. The art has a purpose in its time, and is a reflection of its time.

But when its time has past, I have no issue with removing it from the public view. It’s the destruction that doesn’t sit well with me. Mainly because so much of humanity’s past has been destroyed. Destruction is easy.

I’d rather it be repurposed to shine a light on our nation’s shame, and the message of the problems of that time be taught to future generations.

“Out of sight, out of mind.” + “Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it” = “Here we go again.”

7 Likes

Vertically or horizontally?

4 Likes

Really BAD idea, because this plays directly into the MAGA cultists and much more importantly, the “undecided” suburban soccer moms who will only see this as a preview to something bigger " What’s next, Mt. Rushmore?"

1 Like

But if those people can be swayed to vote for 45 given his glaringly obvious flaws, it would be functionally impossible to not lose them to something else. We cannot live our lives worried about losing the undecided voter while perpetuating a profoundly disrespectful attitude toward the black and brown core of the left. The undecided ones can sit on their fences and spin. I say tear down the racist statues and let those who see that as cause to side with the actual racist demagogue fuck off.

10 Likes

The odd/chances of a Trump statue are dwindling by the day.

3 Likes

It’s always a bad time when it comes to doing the right thing re: things like this. If it’s in an election year, it’s a bad time because all the supposedly undecided Karens will get upset. If it’s an off year, there are other, more important issues for politicians to focus on.

If we all agree it’s a racist statue, there’s no need to take it down because mission accomplished. If there’s deep division on it, it’s the wrong time and we should wait for consensus.

If it’s a full moon, it’s a bad time because werewolves will bite the folks sent to take down the statue.

8 Likes

there’s a park like this in Budapest, too, full of old Soviet-era statuary. if people want to visit it and learn about why they are there, it’s a worthwhile trip.

4 Likes

They are not taking down all statues of Teddy Roosevelt. Just this one, because it is incredibly racist.

13 Likes

Can it be replaced with a not racist statue of Teddy sitting astride a moose?

12 Likes

Or perhaps a moose slung over each shoulder?

12 Likes

While wrestling a bear?

10 Likes

Yes I agree, hence my comment:

I was just speaking in general. I think that shitty people that have done good things should be recognized for both. But statues that are inherently racist should be removed regardless of who they portray.

2 Likes

I did not do very good in school when we had to find the symbolism of stories, so maybe that’s why, and I’ve never seen the statue in person, but I have seen it in pictures before and I thought “Oh, he must’ve been a champion of native American and Afro-American rights for his time” Since he started the national parks I kinda figured that was the case, and never looked him up.

I’ve always been partial to petulant Wolverine Teddy:

14 Likes

In other words, it shouldn’t only be moved out of sight… it should be melted down.

Some might opine that a statue of a racist, is a racist statue.

3 Likes