Melania statue in Slovenia is removed after it was burned by mysterious "vandals"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/09/melania-statue-in-slovenia-is.html

4 Likes

23 Likes

Burning man events in Europe are pretty wild

13 Likes

Yep. That’s basically the whole gamut of plausible reasons in one sentence. I suppose it could have been spewing spiders from the eyes and mouth, but that’s not as likely.

15 Likes

13 Likes

One man’s vandal is another man’s peripatetic humanitarian art critic.

16 Likes

I’m sure a lot of people there are relieved. Being known as the birthplace of someone whose main claim to fame is marrying one of the worst people on the planet for his money is not a distinction I’d want for my hometown.

18 Likes

Melania’s resemblance to Jesus is uncanny.

18 Likes

I want statues of Trump posed doing stupid shit using one of his “faces” he makes during his speeches.

Like why don’t we have a huge statue of the time Trump mocked a disabled journalist ?

And I want them in poured concrete moulds so that we can sledgehammer them into pieces as community activities.

7 Likes

Not exactly:

Downey commissioned a local conceptual artist named Ales Zupevc, better known as Maxi, who was born in the same hospital and the same year as the first lady, to carve the statue from a tree using a chainsaw.

That’s right: an artist actually paid another artist to make that eyesore.

I think you could probably find better examples of chainsaw art at any county fair in North America.

12 Likes

Indubitably:

18 Likes

There was a guy who did this kind of work somewhere on the Marin side of the bridge. Is he still there?

2 Likes

I dunno; I live on the opposite side of the bridge and I haven’t been getting out much lately…

3 Likes

The Vandals have crossed the Danubius! As Proconsul of Noricum, I demand the Emperor do something!

3 Likes

Did Downey pay Zupevc to intentionally create that or is it just that Zupevc is not especially competent? I mean, I have no idea what the statue is supposed to “represent” or whether it was doing a good job or not. If it was supposed to be ugly and represent some sort of unformedness or something then maybe it was a good job???

2 Likes

They made it out of wood for easy, cheap disposal.

I’ve found that the title “conceptual artist” is all too often used as code for “person who always wanted to make art for a living but never learned foundational art skills.”

9 Likes

Clearly that applies to Downey but does it also apply to Zupevc?

Either way that statue is indistinguishable from something we might expect from an artist who lacked skill or training in the fundamentals of craft, composition and execution.

3 Likes

Yeah, I just hate to be the guy looking at a Jackson Pollack saying “I could do that”. This case puts me on the edge. Is it possible that Zupevc hasn’t actually ever done any art before and was hired for that reason?

1 Like