Google dumping Boston Dynamics

I was impressed.

9 Likes

Right, but why build an expensive and unreliable humanoid robot to do that sort of thing? There’s nothing magical about the human form, or even an animal-like form, that makes it better for dangerous combat tasks. That’s why real-life combat robots look like little rovers with guns attached and why machines designed for load-lifting look like forklifts. The only reason to build a humanoid robot is if it needs to operate in an environment designed for humans, and even then there’s usually a simpler solution to the problem.

I’ve yet to see video footage of any BigDog variant crossing terrain that no wheeled or treaded vehicle would be able to handle. Heck, NASA’s got rover prototypes that would give a billygoat vertigo.

5 Likes

Hadn’t seen that one! Less showy than all their walking 'bots but probably more likely to find a real-life use some day.

2 Likes

I was thinking more of terrain like this:

or this

9 Likes

We’ve already got a variety of treaded robots designed specifically for that kind of terrain. Unlike BigDog many are already getting plenty of real-world use for search & rescue operations and the like.

ETA: Building a ground vehicle that uses legs instead of wheels or treads is a bit like building a flying vehicle that uses flapping wings instead of propellers. It’s an impressive technical achievement if you can get it to work, but it’s almost certainly not going to be the most practical or efficient solution to the problem.

2 Likes

It’s OK; I’m sure they’ll land on their feet.

12 Likes

Wearable tech is much more PC than kickable.

2 Likes

You can always kick the guy wearing the Google glasses.

5 Likes

Not so much laws… more guidelines, really.

4 Likes

Clearly somebody never read Dune. They’re called ornithopters, and one day they will be real.

13 Likes

I feel like I’m getting into something like a no-true-Scotsman loop, defining a smaller and smaller use case :slight_smile: So instead I’ll concede the point

7 Likes

And I’ll concede I can think of at least one good use for a quadruped robot: they look like they’d be a lot of fun to ride.

5 Likes

Could make for a good upgrade at the Kentucky Derby.

2 Likes

Until you get pinched, nobody wins when you get pinched by the quadruped robot.

2 Likes

I hear they’re going with Veridian Dynamics now!

2 Likes

the unit’s failure to come up with products that could be released in the near term.

Yeah, right. Google is about to TAKE OVER guys! They’re not withdrawing it - they’re enhancing it!

Well I’m just glad Skynet is getting rid of the Teminator factory.

That shit was scaring me.

10 Likes

Some super-villains just want to be loved.

12 Likes

Have we got the mouse that can withstand 5000 degrees yet?

2 Likes

Computer mouse or live mouse?

2 Likes