Google infiltrated by "cult-like religious sect," says NYT reporter

You are correct sir. A bad joke that only my wife laughed at.

Back in order now.

6 Likes

dear god. well i guess if you make the perceived cost of entry high, people are that much less likely to quit and that much more likely to devote themselves completely to their new valuable job.

but six months? that’s corporate psyops on a whole other level

then again, if you want to select for cult like tendencies… that would be the way

6 Likes

To be fair there are large gaps of “We are internally evaluating feedback from the last interview” during which nothing happens, and it was at the height of the plague. And of course it is all pointless since interviews tell you nothing about how a person will perform in a job. But, hey, at least they have stopped doing the stupid “brain teasers”.
I am able to apply again in about a month (you have to wait a year…). Still deciding if I really want to - it’s not like Google has become a more attractive workplace over the last year.

6 Likes

It’s almost as if when you give people solely a technical education with little to no critical experience with (and even a contempt for) the arts and humanities, you leave them susceptible to even the most banal and predatory of human-developed meaning-making systems.

3 Likes

Though, unsurpsingly, his idea of “fine art” is a bunch of dead white dudes he talked to in visions. I suspect he wouldn’t cotton to most contemporary, relevant, or challenging forms of artistic expression, particularly by non-White or non-Western artists.

Someone lionizing Da Vinci as an exemplar of the greatest that art has to offer throws up a lot of red flag for being at the very least ignorant, and at worst the type of ignorant that curdles into Western chauvinism and white supremacy.

7 Likes

This is interesting to me.

Now we have QAnon in Tech too. Ugh.

Their place in Waterloo Ontario has a big slide. Corporate enforced FUN is never a good sign.

4 Likes

You know what other building has a giant slide built into it? Focus On The Family headquarters

6 Likes

Yeah, that’s not just problematic, it’s using a definition of “art” that’s five centuries out of date and thoroughly obsolete, just for starters. (I.e. that ain’t what we talk about, when we talk about “art”)

3 Likes

The podcast Oh No Ross and Carrie! had Jennings Brown on their latest episode discussing the cult at the center of this. He spent several years infiltrating and reporting on them. Content warning for discussions of sexual and physical abuse.

They also spend some time discussing Teal Swan, who recently came up on BoingBoing as well

4 Likes

No, but it is how Fellowships work.

5 Likes

To be fair, I’m not aware of any computer science of engineering degrees that don’t have substantial humanities requirements.

That said though I agree with your larger point that white bro engineers are particularly susceptible to this stuff. I think it’s a function of privilege, though, not education. They are told their entire lives that they are smarter than everyone else and that everything they think is right. That makes a person vulnerable to “just so” sounding scams because anything that appeals to them feels “right” because they are the ones feeling it (if that made sense). It’s drinking their own kool-aid, basically.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.