Google infiltrated by "cult-like religious sect," says NYT reporter

Yup drapes were the first thing that came to mind. Reminds me of Went with the Wind.

14 Likes

Does this contextualize that AI researcher who was fired for thinking that the Google AI had become sentient? Didn’t he say his religious views were being violated?

Mr. Burton taught that true consciousness could be achieved by embracing the fine arts.

I like that bit - in grad art school we joked about going door to door with art history text books and proselytizing: “Have you heard about art?” Too bad they had to wrap up the idea in the standard abusive patriarchal cult bullshit.

Not really - he’s some flavor of Christian mystic. It does suggest something about Google’s hiring practices, though.

12 Likes

Scientology probably infiltrated thousands of agents into the US government in the 1970’s.

Google Operation Snow White if you’ve got time to go down a whole rabbit hole.

7 Likes

I am that rabbit hole.

Thousands seems high. At Scientology’s peak in those years, their actual membership never went above 50,000.

14 Likes

“There is another theory which states that this has already happened.”

13 Likes

But they will have the best wall hooks for them.

4 Likes

… like oats.

11 Likes

quaker-oats

12 Likes

That creeped me right out as I didn’t realise it was a gif at first.

Well played!.

10 Likes

I didn’t realize that it wasn’t Jimmy Page.

12 Likes

There was also that guy that left Google under weird circumstances and incidentally shut down or transfered the organization he had set up (while with Google) to prepare a church to worship Strong AIs when they appeared. I will add a link when I find a reference

9 Likes

I find this oddly unsurprising. The future is weird, huh?

10 Likes

Tech businesses are the perfect side hustle that every cult needs to pay the bills. They used to have to sell peaches, make furniture, clean houses, or other more complicated business requiring physical assets and pesky government oversight. Now all they have to do is hire the founder’s cousin’s kid brother to freelance writing python and php for enterprise server stacks. Only one laptop required, the pay is good, and they can work from a corner of the compound.

10 Likes
5 Likes

Yeah, I suppose Google is going to attract all the religious techbros, because they’re one of the largest, most obvious companies doing AI work… People who believe this stuff try to get jobs at Google in order to make it real (and a certain number will actually get jobs there).

5 Likes

Six months of interviews before I was shot down in a final round of six interviews, by an engineer who did not understand that not all problems require a technical solution. Might try again since how else am I going to be positioned to immanentize the eschaton

15 Likes

some of this cult infiltration of bizness might require some competence so that might count the MAGA contingent out

2 Likes

Oats are grains… and grains are plants. It all fits!

8 Likes

Cults are indeed weird and sinister, Quaker’s included, but that’s Jimmy Page.

6 Likes