Google infiltrated by "cult-like religious sect," says NYT reporter

Originally published at: Google infiltrated by "cult-like religious sect," says NYT reporter | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Wasn’t this a movie with Emma Watson already?

11 Likes

I’m surprised that various cults aren’t tripping over each other, trying to place anchor employees in companies like Google.

Oh, and MAGA, foreign agents, etc.

22 Likes

I wonder how well they know their neighbors.

43 Likes

Well, it appears they share tailors.

30 Likes

God damn it! I am so angry that the fabric for the drapes does not match the suits!

33 Likes

I recall hearing about a couple of tech start-ups during the Dotcom 1.0 era being hijacked by cultists, and of course Heaven’s Gate was a Web design firm in addition to being a UFO suicide cult.

There’s a culty aspect to start-up culture and Silicon Valley has been a welcoming place for New Age woo peddlers for more than half a century. It’s weird but not unsurprising see a cult trying to colonise a department of a big company like Google.

33 Likes

“Fellowship of Friends” is a little too close to “Society of Friends.” When the Quakers find out about this, heads are going to roll.

22 Likes

Is that how Quakers work? :thinking: :wink:

36 Likes

Silently.

37 Likes

The King of England tried to push the Quakers around once. That was 350 years ago. And now look at the state of the monarchy!

17 Likes

it’s also easy to get them confused with “friends of fellowship” ( not to mention friends of friends )

never ever cross a quaker.

8 Likes

I was fired for blowing the whistle on cult’s status in Google unit, says contractor

[…]

In his complaint [PDF], filed in a California Superior Court in Silicon Valley, Lloyd lays down a case that he was fired for expressing concerns over the fellowship’s influence at Google, specifically in the GDS. When these concerns were reported to a manager, Lloyd was told to drop the issue or risk losing his job, it is claimed.

[…]

15 Likes

I only want my business unit to be infiltrated by Friends of Dorothy

20 Likes

Sideshow Bob, “You wanted to be Krusty’s sidekick since you were five. What about the buffoon lessons, the four years at clown college.”

What about the buffoon lessons? The four years at clown college? : r/TheSimpsons

28 Likes

I can’t remember the name of that Batman villain.

The Enlightener? Drapes Man? Captain Ephebophilia?

13 Likes

Is it the Cult of Myers-Briggs because that’s old news.

9 Likes

“Cult-like religious sect” is redundant. It’s just a question of how far they go.

6 Likes

One thing that was common to just about every sizable computer/tech company I’ve experienced is the cults active (primarily) amongst the programmers and engineers. First job after leaving college in 1972, small east coast office of a much larger software development firm, the bulk of the other staff were either into Scientology or Neural Linguistic Programming. In the early 80s, many of the companies were infested by followers of est (and its lower rent cousins like Actualizations). When I moved to the Bay Area in the mid-80s, there was est (by then The Forum) and an amusing variety of guru-led faux Hindu cults (usually involving some psychedelics). Then there are the companies which are cults (think Apple under Jobs, or SpaceX). Of course, the one pervasive cult throughout the industry is the cult of greed.

23 Likes

I was about to go on a rampage about their shoes, but then the gears in my head slowly started turning and I think the creepy MF may have some intent in the choice so…yeah… can I be on team “fu*k those drapes”? it feels safer but still hilarious there. :wink:

3 Likes