Google Maps profiled in NYT mag, because our location-awareness-everything future needs them

[Permalink]

There is a free alternative: openstreetmap.org. It’s better in some places than others, but you all can help make it better.

2 Likes

Well done and absolutely correct. There’s also OpenCycle maps for the bicyclers among us. There’s also an Open Weather map, and an Open Mountain Bike/Hiker maps. More out there, I’m sure, but those were the low hanging fruit. Also, there’s the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team where they do this:

The Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team [H.O.T.] applies the principles of open source and open data sharing for humanitarian response and economic development.
And finally, there's the Open Source Geospatial Foundation which I add because it's related and I really like the word "Geospatial".
3 Likes

I am not a fan of the new Google Maps (the ads are really annoying and cover up part of the map), but zooming out and looking at the entire world is pretty awesome.

More to the point, why is Google making them increasingly difficult to use? Navigation used to take one click, speak, and go. Now it takes three clicks, speak, and three more clicks before you get navigation. Does everyone at Google ride those stupid buses? Does no one have a car?

Then you’ll like: https://www.nga.mil It’s the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency

Much appreciated, but I was shooting for map systems that are open and shareable, and do not include the following:

NGA provides timely, relevant, and accurate geospatial intelligence in support of national security.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.