A free, open-source interactive world map

Originally published at: A free, open-source interactive world map | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Neat!
Looking at places I know, it seems to be pretty accurate.

5 Likes

That’s cool; though it is weird how much I miss the street view feature from Google Maps.

3 Likes

What, no AuthaGraph or Winkel-Tripel projections!?!

Quite a lot of low-level detail missing where I looked. E.g. some houses are there others are not - almost entirely randomly.

Data is from OpenStreetMap and is provided by end-users (like a wiki)

This project is more about allowing sites to self-host their map data in a format that is cloud-friendly.
Their FAQ explains it pretty well.

4 Likes

Ah, so it’s one of those mappy tools for mappy people who understand weird mappy-related filetypes and how to integrate them.

(I tried once - too hard.) :wink:

OSM has far more detail where I looked, than this one does. I guess they are deploying only a certain level of OSM data. (?)

2 Likes

Sorry, I must be missing something.
I use google earth on an ipad - don’t pay a penny.
Is google maps something you pay for?

Thinking about it for all of three seconds - is google maps some kind of satnav?

Organisations that want to create custom maps for their own nefarious commercial purposes, typically have to license map data to do that. Licences typically cost money. Private usage is different.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.