Google Translate's deep dream: some translation requests yield weird religious prophesies

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/20/who-needs-st-john.html

2 Likes

Dog dog dog.

4 Likes
Garbage in, garbage out.
13 Likes

The intersection of AI and religion here remind me of two different SF stories. “The Nine Billion Names of God” , and Colossus.

13 Likes

13 Likes

Different amounts of “dog” yield stuff like “dog dog dog dog dog dog christian dog dog dog dog”

4 Likes

My money is on an ipsum lorem-type issue.

3 Likes

As someone who finds herself relying upon Google translate to communicate with Arabic speakers, I am both impressed and maddened by some of its translations.

On the one hand, that it works at all, is pretty awesome. On the other, I get things like “tomorrow, on the occasion of the fever, go to collect the cherub in its descent” – which I think means, to celebrate Eid shall we go for a stroll…

8 Likes

AI dyslexia: god god god…

8 Likes

Interestingly, “ngeru” in maori is “cat”, “ngeru ngeru” is “cats”, but “ngerungeru” is “panic”.

Makes sense.

There goes productivity for the day…

14 Likes

The Bible theory makes perfect sense, given all the references to the Doomsday Clock in the New Testament.

4 Likes

made me wonder if the barrel roll trick still works. It does.

5 Likes

Why do they even have a word for cat? They certainly didn’t bring cats, otherwise we might never have known there were Kiwis or Kakapos.

Panic, OTH, makes perfect sense in this context.

2 Likes

I told 'em, millennium hand and shrimp, I told em!

12 Likes

Weirdly enough, when I see religious prophecies, to me it just looks like, “dog dog dog dog…”

5 Likes

Whee.

7 Likes
6 Likes

Ah, they have a word for cat so they can talk about cats. They did bring kuri (dogs) and kiore (rats) whom together would have eaten a fair amount of kiwi and kakapo.

6 Likes

That’s why it’s called “dogma”.

:joy:

15 Likes

So you think the languages of indigenous people should have stopped evolving once colonised??

3 Likes