Google Translate's deep dream: some translation requests yield weird religious prophesies

Corpora. Don’t make me stop the car.

UPDATE: “Corpuses” are dead porpoises. Not everyone know that.

7 Likes

No ‘b’ phoneme in Māori. You’re not making it easy for the translater.

2 Likes

Google Translate is definitely Christian. When Google Translate finally becomes self-aware and takes over the world, expect a very polyglot theocracy. With dogs.

But cats are divine, too: “dog dog dog dog dog dog dog dog dog dog dog dog dog dog cat” already delivers the most important part of the prophesy: “Doomsday Clock is three minutes at twelve We are experiencing characters and a dramatic developments in the world”.

The deeper truth is probably to be found hidden among the cats: If you enter “cat cat cat cat cat cat cat cat cat cat cat cat cat cat cat cat cat cat cat cat cat”, you get “cat cat cat cat cat cat cat cat cat cat cat cat cat Cat Cat cat Cat cat cat”. Note that two cats went missing, and three cats came back with capital letters. That is definitely a code, and once we understand that, we will know more than we do now.

I’m sorry, sir, my karma ran over your dogma.

You’d expect loanwords for recently-introduced animals, rather than made-up new words. Just look at how almost all languages in the world use a word derived from Chinese 茶 as their word for tea. Some come from the Amoy dialect pronunciation (tê), some resemble the Mandarin chá. And some took a detour via Persia and now sound like (چای chay).
Now, if invaders come to your country and bring strange but cute little things they call “cats”, why would you invent the word “ngeru”? (Of course, these things happen, but not usually).

9 Likes

Multiple words, varying by tribal dialect.

2 Likes

“The Beast and His Armies will rise from the Pit to make war against God.”

(shakes translator)

“Apologies. I said, ‘I hope you enjoy your meal.’”

4 Likes

Translate

3 Likes

You can have fun with other languages. I’m sure there’s an outside chance that these are meaningful sentences in Icelandic, but I’m inclined to doubt it.

1 Like

3 Likes

Hmm. Needs more capybara.

1 Like

Doomsday Clock is three minutes at twelve We are experiencing characters and a dramatic developments in the world, which indicate that we are increasingly approaching the end times and Jesus’ return

The whole eschatological nature of the translation seems just a tad too specific. I’m willing to bet there’s some Google engineer who was working on some kind of pre-filter who just added some recursion depth guard code that outputs silliness on failure. Or maybe it’s just an easter egg left by a well meaning evangelical engineer.

holy_soda

2 Likes

I was thinking more along those lines. I posted the “barrel roll” easter egg previosly in this thread since I thought it obvious, but everyone else here was speculating on the AI. I just don’t see it.
There may be something to the theory that languages without a lot of written material to feed the AI have to lean heavily on bible translations since zealots always provide them even for obscure languages.
That said, I think that possibility is hugely overshadowed by humanity’s urge to write graffiti in all cultures since the dawn of mankind, and of computer and game designers urge to make easter eggs since the dawn of computers. The odds just seem in favor of that being the explanation but of course Google will never cop to it.

3 Likes

It’s kind of like what happens in fansub anime at times.

It’s like that because it tries to compensate for the meaningless double-up by making “cat cat” into a plural (Māori has no plural noun forms - “cats” would be ngā ngeru).

Ngerungeru also happens to be a variant of ngengero, a shark that is relatively known for not being human-friendly, so that’s not accurate either but I can see how the contamination might have occurred.

I’ve long suspected that religion is a telephone game gone horribly wrong.

4 Likes

2ej69i

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.