Google's API changes mean only paid enterprise users of Chrome will be able to access full adblock

I’m glad I stuck with Firefox all these years.

5 Likes

Ad company blocks ad blockers. Shocked I say, to find gambling in this establishment…

7 Likes

Or run it locally in a Docker container. Good for when you’re on the go

Not here to defend Google, but here’s the reasoning from Chrome’s security team lead:

1 Like

Mine runs on a Raspberry Pi along with a Tor router, so in theory I could take it anywhere I want.

3 Likes

Guess it’s time to get Firefox on my mobile devices too…

1 Like

What hardware are you using to run the Tor router?

I am running it on a Raspberry Pi B+ and used these directions to get it up and running.

Nice and as fast as my non-Tor router.

1 Like

They’re equally bad now. I’m running a basic gaming rig w/16gb of RAM and it’s not a problem running both ff and chrome simultaneously while also playing Elite: Dangerous (gotta be able to search trade routes somehow)

If you have an ISP/Cellular contract with limited data usage, I would suggest sending google a monthly bill for the difference in data use if you can’t block ads.

In defense of Chrome/Chromium, here’s what I like about it. I like to play around with a bunch of Linux distros, both installed on my hard drive (I have 7 of them installed, plus Win10) and via live media. Once you sign in to Chrome/Chromium, it installs all of your extensions and loads their current defaults. It also loads your current bookmarks and other stuff, like tabs to open on start and user options. This is really convenient.

By contrast, all Firefox does is load your bookmarks when you sign in, and if the distro author has added any bookmarks, your Firefox account hoovers those up too, and you have to futz around deleting them. Signing in to Firefox doesn’t load any extensions, and you still have to go through and set the browser’s options.

As far as whether uBlock Origin and other ad blockers will still work in Chrome/Chromium in the future, we will have to wait and see. The twitter thread indicated that nothing is yet set in stone.

As far as Cory’s other post about Chrome/Chromium’s use of DRM: in Firefox, if you want to watch DRM media, you have to opt in to install Widevine via a checkbox. And if you have Chromium on Linux, you pretty much have to download Widevine yourself (sometimes directly from Google, depending on the distro) and install it (there are instructions on how to do this available via a Google search).

1 Like

That’s simply not true. It doesn’t sync the settings of the extensions, but extensions get synced automatically.

1 Like

Well I’ll be. When did that change? It sure didn’t use to.

1 Like

Firefox. 9 characters.

1 Like

About 4 years ago

Thanks. It’s been a while since I used Firefox Sync. (When I did, I was mainly concerned about syncing bookmarks, since after they changed their API for extensions, my old tried and true bookmark manager didn’t work that well.) Sorry for posting wrong information.

2 Likes

Seemingly only correcting the issue with Enterprise customers says everything that needs to be said, which is Use Firefox.

Are you sure? a couple of weeks ago my work browser borked and had to do a fresh reinstall of FF and my extensions automatically synced with the ones i had from home, saving me the headache of having to hunt them down.

Rule of Acquisition #52:
Never ask when you can take.