Google's Deep Dreaming fills the 'net with psychedelic nightmare GIFs

http://www.reddit.com/r/deepdream/comments/3bvxgl/deepdream_for_nonprogrammers/

Which doesn’t seem all too comforting.

However, while I haven’t tried it yet, there’s a Docker version: http://ryankennedy.io/running-the-deep-dream/

A few days ago, Google released a Python Notebook to let you play with some of their very recent work on visualisation with neural networks.

Despite being designed to rely on as few dependancies as possible, a recurring complaint I saw is that it’s so difficult for non-programmers to set up and start playing with.

If that sounds like you, then you’re in luck! I’ve built and packaged a complete virtual environment, with all dependancies included & ready to go. We can do the entire thing from scratch in a few lines at the terminal (after chewing through a few GB of bandwidth). The tool is called Docker, and the virtual environments are called Containers. What we’re going to do is install Docker, pull my deepdream container, and run the container so we can play with the tool in our web-browser.

1 Like

That Docker version is actually what I’ve been using. I ended up pulling the instructions out of google’s cache because the site was down yesterday. Didn’t realize it was accessible again.

I wish the troubleshooting instructions at the bottom had been there when I was working on it.

1 Like

“The eyes and tentacles imagery is a coincidence based on a random sampling of the source material,” the Google engineer said, adding, “Iä Cthulhu! Iä Nyarlathotep! Tributes to Him in the Gulf, Azathoth!”

1 Like

Please do post it if you find it. I’ve got a couple to share, once I’m on my other computer.

I think to get it hunting for different images you’d need to train the Caffe neural net on different image sets.

There’s supposed to be 1000 different topic/keywords the NN has been trained on.

Somebody wrote a continuously-streaming Deep-Dreamer for Twitch - http://www.twitch.tv/317070 - that would change “subjects” every 60s based on what’s being “shouted” at it. (I don’t know if it’s still active since the whole site is blocked at work.)

Finally. There is a real ‘acid’ photo filter.

1 Like

JPEG artifacts on acid. Not bad, not bad…

A couple beach pics - low-level, then high-level (each only a single iteration)

2 Likes

And my dog of dogs, Maggie:

I think she looks quite cherubic, at least if you’ve closely read Ezekiel 10:10-12 or Revelations.

3 Likes

I just spend 4 hours trying to get the Docker version to work, before remembering why I went completely *Nix free 10 years ago. For some reason on Windows something is completely broken. Can’t connect to anything. Couldn’t get things to compile if I manually downloaded them. Got an error, fixed the error which got a different error, fixed that error, and eventually got an error that couldn’t be fixed.

1 Like

If you want to relive that experience, there’s also NodeJS on windows!

1 Like

Here’s my dog on her pillow. Isn’t she adorable?

I love the random bird that appeared at the bottom of the frame.

10 Likes

Hey, I made the last GIF at the bottom of the article. Is it possible to get credited?

My name is Ross Goodwin. Thanks!

2 Likes

Me

My Cat

3 Likes

I’d love to try messing around with this, but I probably don’t have the patience to try to crowbar it into maybe working with CUDA 1.x.

You guys think I’m crazy?! Well, that’s fine! Most of you don’t know what’s going on around here, but I’m damn well sure some of you do! You think that thing wanted to be an animal?! No dog’s gonna make it a thousand miles to the coast! You don’t understand! That thing wanted to be US!

4 Likes

Free hugs!

2 Likes

I know you gentlemen have been through a lot. But when you find the time… I’d rather not spend the rest of the thread TIED TO THIS FUCKING COMMENT!

Not until you post the source imagery so we can verify authorship, recognize (and avoid) you, and remix you into our own personal nightmares.