GOP congressman: Ferguson protesters of 'a single continental origin'

Another aspect of how ridiculous this statement is, is that DNA testing has so far been unable to find a single African-American (as opposed to recent immigrant from Africa) who isn’t admixed with European genes (and often Native/Asian ones as well).

But wait, there’s more! A significant percentage of “whites” with heritage from the southern states have learned through DNA testing that they carry up to 5-6% African genes in their DNA. Autosomal DNA testing only shows the last approximately 500 years of admixture, so we’re not talking Out Of Africa here.

I love science.

4 Likes

Rep Steve King is of a single celled brain.

It’s really got to be hard for Steve King always having to strive for a new and more despicable low, having to struggle to appeal to the most base and disgusting descriptions of Americans who don’t resemble him. To his credit he seems able to wallow further down in his disrespect for the citizens of this and every other continent. He serves no value at all, just a festering boil on the ass of humanity, someone please bring a lance.

2 Likes

Gosh, $25 a month? That seems awfully steep. I mean, we just spent $20k acquiring a military surplus APC, and diesel isn’t cheap. Especially so, when the APC only gets about 2 miles to the gallon, and requires constant tread upkeep and servicing. We can’t afford to spend an extra $25 per cop a month with all these bills stacking up.

What is worse than Steve King: The likelihood that he will be elected.Not in spite of, but because of the hateful, ignorant bilge he spews.

3 Likes

For the Republican Party of today, bigoted intolerance is a feature, not a bug.

3 Likes

No, white people come from The Gap.

Enjoy this awesome video of a white supremacist finding out on national TV that he’s got 14% sub-saharan African genes, while being roundly laughed at by the other guest.

1 Like

LOL. I’ve been wondering if it was The Gap in Brisbane, Sydney or Wagga.
:derp:

You know, you could have shortened that to just one sentence: “We’re all mongrels.”

I don’t think the term weasel word captures what he’s doing here. He’s using awkward, off the wall phrasing to say some serious racist BS. Rush did something similar when he was briefly on ESPN when he wanted to say something patently racist. They fired him anyway.

1 Like

I’m confused… I thought it was asians:

4 Likes

I take it you’re not very familiar with the 4th district. Other than Ames (a college town), it contains Sioux City (factory town referred to by its escapees as Sewer City), Mason City (factory town), Storm Lake (conservative as all get out), and a whole lot of places in between where you will have no difficulty finding people who have never left the county they were born in. Many of them may not pay much attention to the frequently vile crap that spews from King’s mouth, as when they’re in the ballot box, they’re pulling the straight-party lever for Republican.

tl;dr - you’re asking for too much. (Full disclosure: ISU alum.)

4 Likes

To be fair, I’m virtually certain that was not an autosomal test (the current gold standard…it’s probably the old STR test instead) and so the 14% is likely on the high side. But the probability that he has some, considering his heritage? Yup, that’s very likely. I just wish they’d done proper testing, because if he gets another type of test and it only shows 5% (say), then he can argue that the tests are bogus.

LOL!

Except, we aren’t all mongrels. I mean, depending on exactly how much nitpicking you want to get into. There are many endogamous groups which have so little outside admixture that genetic diseases are a huge problem.

/pedant

He’s technically correct. Most of the people in a black-majority town who were out protesting the murder of a black kid by white cops were either black locals, or else cops counter-protesting. It’s disappointing that there weren’t more of their white neighbors out protesting also, but not surprising.

However, King said this in response to a discussion of racial profiling by police, which wasn’t about the protesters, it was about the relationship of the police and the community. It’s a much different issue, and the color of the people on the TV news footage has little to do with it.

It was more like beseeching than asking. :wink:

1 Like

Single continental origin-- North America, the continent containing Ferguson. I suppose it’s a relief that most foreign provocateurs have been ruled out.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.