GOP Congressman introduces legislation to restore and protect Net Neutrality

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/18/title-viii.html

5 Likes

Rep. Mike Coffman [R-CO] – one of the signatories to the Democrat-led bid to overrule the FCC and restore Net Neutrality

Well he’s not long for the tGOP, is he?

12 Likes

Sounds really good, but somehow I don’t see this as having a snowball’s chance in Texas in July.

3 Likes

Imagine that, trying to achieve a goal through legislation instead of regulatory fiat.

12 Likes

Coffman isn’t going to be considered liberal anytime soon, even a stopped clock is right twice a day:

3 Likes

It’s not that he’ll be considered a liberal, it’s that he’ll be isolated from the party or primaried out like so many other Republicans who defied Il Douche (even if they support him most of the time).

6 Likes

Colorado 6 seems to be the eastern outskirts of Denver. It went 52-47 for Obama and 50-41 for Clinton.

This is the typical feint away from the far right one frequently sees in Republicans from non-red districts. Its baloney, of course, these reps vote for the R leadership that implements the Hastert rule ensuring all policy made under R control satisfy 51% of Republicans. He knows none of this will pass. Other republicans know it won’t pass. His donors know it won’t pass.

This should be seen, purely, as an attempt to maintain republican control in the upcoming midterm elections so that they can keep removing consumer protections like Net Neutrality.

3 Likes

And HERE COME THE LOBBYISTS!
The 1000 inevitables. Can our heroes resist their green candy? Stay tuned for disappointment, kids!

1 Like

I’m trying, but the idea of anything of substance happening in today’s political climate really beggars belief. The idea that something might happen without benefiting the corporate class first seems exceedingly unlikely.

The FCC was created through an act of legislation in 1934. We shouldn’t need to rely on congress to pass new legislation just to get the agency to regulate communication technologies in a way that upholds basic public interests, but here we are.

5 Likes

Sensible internet legislation proposed by a member of my party? The Republican party? What’s next? 40 years of darkness? Earthquakes, volcanoes? The dead rising from the grave?

1 Like

What’s next is, if all goes according to Republican plan, this guy gets re-elected and this bill goes absolutely nowhere under the continuing Republican majority. Then more tax cuts for the rich.

1 Like

Made me think of this tchotchke I picked up for my sister while on a business trip!

AZ%20Snowman

1 Like

The GOP leadership will ensure that this bill never comes up for a vote. McConnell in particular is an enemy of the people.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.