GOP gears up to expel George Santos: "He cannot serve"

So, let’s check the House count again;

Alabama is on the hook SCOTUS-style to lose one GQP seat.

South Carolina is very possibly about to encounter the same smack down.

New York is trending the same, but hasn’t yet reached the Federal level yet. And that has nothing to do with Santos’ district per se. (NY’s partisan gerrymander in 2020 flipped 3 house seats to R)

North Carolina’s in the same boat.

And there are still fights getting underway in Louisiana, Florida and Georgia based on the SCOTUS ruling in Alabama. The GQP currently holds a 5-seat majority in the House and those top cases alone could make up the difference. 2024 could be looking pretty good for democracy if things keep trending this way.

8 Likes

Well, this is just highly commendable of y’all, considering how high you have set the bar. Wait…how low? Oh gosh, I’m confused.

3 Likes

I’m also liking the 3rd Congressional district in Wisconsin. It was a tight race the last time around and the Republican incumbent, Derrick Van Orden, has been making a fool of himself boldly and in public.

5 Likes

Why are they looking to expel him now? Because he committed the cardinal sin amongst the GOP - he stole from a donor.

You can hurt the poors and libs all you want, but you don’t mess with donors or their money.

4 Likes

If ANY Democrat had done one one hundredth of the shit that Santos has pulled, he would have been expelled many months ago, but the Republicans are now nothing but a cult, with no morals, ethics, or normal standards of behavior, and the more corrupt you are, the more like The Dear Leader Trump you are, the better.

4 Likes

I sure as hell hope you’re right about that and that Senator Menendez is gone very, very soon.

2 Likes

Democrats are actively trying to get rid of him. Republicans are defending Santos.

The fact that he’s been allowed to stay in office this long says all you need to know about the true nature of the Republican party.

2 Likes

Like I said, I hope you’re right. More than half of Democratic Senators have condemned his actions and said that he should resign, but I haven’t yet seen much in the form of concrete action to force his removal. Most of them have not yet committed to supporting his expulsion, which would require a 2/3 vote and hasn’t happened since 1862. Senator Fetterman explicitly supports expulsion (good for him!) but I’ve read some news articles where all the other Senators who were asked for comment on that kept deflecting, instead emphasizing that they want him to resign. If you have information to the contrary I’d be happy to see it.

3 Likes

Fortunately or unfortunately, you can’t believe anything he says - so I wouldn’t be too surprised if we see a plea deal soon.

Plot Twist: He decides to be the next Speaker…

2 Likes

He failed the cynical power tests in each way that Trump passes them. Santos has no real fans, and lots of people who hate him. Trump has a loud vocal fanbase that holds the core of Republican primary votes. Santos can’t raise money and alienated major donors. Trump raises funds. As the Speaker slot devolves into an internal fight, the marginal vote advantage he provided disappears and the benefit of being seen as the mavericky maverick who stood up for decency against your own party increases.

1 Like

Too bad that he’s lying, of course.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.