GOP lawmaker in Kansas says black people "responded the worst" to marijuana because of "genetics" and "character makeup"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/08/gop-lawmaker-in-kansas-black-p.html

9 Likes

[*Citation needed]

59 Likes

Thanks, I made a correction to the post to address this.

35 Likes

Still not convinced he’s actually human.

23 Likes

Every time he says “basically” an innocent pot plant dies.

28 Likes

But a “Gentleman” in the BB sense of the word for sure.

18 Likes

I’m still just gobsmacked the guy actually cited the propaganda from fucking Reefer Madness, as if that shit were somehow legitimate.

48 Likes

Someone should tell him that “Reefer Madness” wasn’t a documentary.

Also, WTHF (what the Holy F)!

I bet this guy was outraged back in the early 90’s when that Japanese executive said that the US couldn’t compete because the american worker was lazy and illiterate (paraphrased from a roughly 20 year old memory, so it’s not an exact quote). Basically “white hillbilly american stupid and lazy!”. I’m betting (and completely without any evidence at all) that this jack-hole was able to recognize that as racist and idiotic, but genuinely believes that the devil’s weed makes “those” african americans (but he uses a word that rhymes with “chigger”) and “those” mexicans (but he uses a word that rhymes with “neener”) crazy loco because of their obvious genetic and cultural weaknesses…

Holy F-ing What the F. I need a time machine to send this guy back to the 50’s (or maybe 30’s)…

And here’s a goddamn unicorn chaser because I’m sitting in a rainstorm that’s likely to cause tons of devastating mudslides here in CA, and the last thing I needed to do is read about this neanderthal piece of shit.

15 Likes

Kansas isn’t complete without an Oz reference…

200_s

33 Likes

He’s absolutely right in that we need to remember the reason marijuana was outlawed in the 1930s - because the reason was a bunch of fucking racist bullshit, and we need to come to terms with something that should have embarrassed us, as a society, for the last 80 years.
It’s like we’re back in the 1930s, returning to the same bullshit racist arguments, people wondering if Nazis are bad or not…

That seems to be his preferred level of legitimacy.

49 Likes

In the immortal words of Marvin Berry and the Starlighters;

Who you callin’ “spook,” peckerwood?

38 Likes

He seems like the kind of guy who probably attended a stoner-hosted screening of Reefer Madness back in college but was the only one there who wasn’t enjoying it ironically.

21 Likes

Ironically, in Kansas the shit literally grows wild.

This poor fossil drank the kool-aid in the 60s and still think it tastes great. But ignorance really is no excuse.

14 Likes

“Gimme some M! M…! My Brain… It’s on FIRE!” plays piano madly.

Damn, son, stop sprinkling cocaine on yer reefer =x.

8 Likes

Hi brand new account. Are you disappointed in BoingBoing?

40 Likes

Missouri too. I dated a girly who was from just over the border in blue springs. One day out walking through the back woods of her parents property there were like 6 tall and healthy plants.
Obviously not any sort of grow operation as too few and not planted in rows. If I had known enough about what to harvest I probably would have done so cause hey free weed.

10 Likes

Instant, obvious fail. He quite literally used the words:

"Basically any way you say it, marijuana is an entry drug into the higher drugs. What you really need to do is go back in the '30s, when they outlawed all types of drugs in Kansas and across the United States. What was the reason why they did that? One of the reasons why, I hate to say it, was that the African-Americans, they were basically users and they basically responded the worst to those drugs just because of their character makeup, their genetics and that. And so basically what we’re trying to do is we’re trying to do a complete reverse, with people not remembering what has happened in the past.”

Thing is, that’s complete, unsupported (and unsupportable) bullshit, as even LaGuardia (of NYC fame) found out; In fact, LaGuardia — an arch-conservative — converted to an outspoken critic of criminalization (much credit to him for the honesty):

17 Likes

“The guy was just saying laws were made against drugs because the inner cities were strongly affected by it.”

Jeepers, I need to clean the wax out of my ears because I heard him say “African-Americans, they were basically users and they basically responded the worst to those drugs just because of their character makeup, their genetics and that.”

Thanks!

39 Likes

It was mostly a push by the booze producers because black people partook of the much cheaper option of MJ over good old hooch.

15 Likes

Well, I’d aver that it was also an attempt to further demonize Black people, to be used as an excuse for further oppression, much as it is today ^^’. But yes, from what I’ve read you’re quite correct.

8 Likes