GOP lawmaker in Kansas says black people "responded the worst" to marijuana because of "genetics" and "character makeup"

Wow, thanks for the link; there’s a lot of comedy gold there xD!

1 Like

The “weed” you find in the wild in KS is called “Nebraska No-High” or “ditchweed” by locals; it’s NOT marijuana, but rather hemp that escaped farms during WWII (when farmers were required to plant a certain percentage of their acreage with hemp) ^^’. Trust me on this, I lived in Wichita for about a decade ({Deity} help me), and my buddies were constantly ripping off idiot teens with the stuff =p.

If you try to smoke hemp, the only high you’re going to acquire is elevated CO levels and a massive headache.

15 Likes

So probably better off making a nice shirt with it.

11 Likes

Or paper. Or fuel. Or food. OR plastic. Or… Well, you get the idea. It’s actually one of the most useful cash crops known, AND it’s very hardy and doesn’t deplete the soil, to boot.

Hemp is useless for smoking for two big reasons; very little THC AND a large amount of anti-THC agonists that block the neural receptors that THC normally binds to, which actually “unstones” you. Smoking the stems and seeds in “normal” weed can have a similar effect for exactly the same reasons.

10 Likes

Just say “no.”

10 Likes

“character makeup”

pronounced: shitwemadeup

9 Likes

It is good that this clown came out and demonstrated the racist reasons for cannabis prohibition. At least he was being honest rather than making up lies and twisting logic like “Pot bad alcohol good”. May more idiot politicians show their true colors to the voters.

5 Likes

What a lovely, informed, and compassionate thing to say.

1 Like
10 Likes

It’d be nice to believe that a brain-eating parasite had cored through his skull and was wearing him like a cheap suit, but we probably aren’t that lucky.

15 Likes

You mean that wasn’t a documentary?

7 Likes

Aren’t they always, though?

Not any more than Birth of a Nation was.

13 Likes

Not one racist POS in a position of power, TWO. He quotes his wife, who is a magistrate judge, who presumably holds the same twisted views. What the holy fuck.

9 Likes

FFS, now he’s “apologized,” but it’s clear he doesn’t know why. The press approached him, and he seemed pretty befuddled, responding about his statement, To me, that’s neutral.” Then he seemed to realize he screwed up, and gave the standard non-apology-apology, “I sincerely apologize to anyone whom I have hurt.” And tried to “clarify” that he really was talking about the “damaging consequences on the African American community,” as if that wasn’t entirely due to fucking criminalization of it.

16 Likes

This sort of racism should be a fireable offence when in public office.

I don’t really care if he “feels sorry” I don’t want anyone with his views even near the general public let alone in public office setting policies that affect the public.

goddammit , his racism got me so worked up i didn’t have any outrage leftover for his views on marijuana itself.

19 Likes

And is still stoned on the acid someone put in it. As the late great Robin Williams put it, “Reality…what a concept!

4 Likes

Well, he did get one thing right:

As long as it’s illegal, and you have to find a dealer to get it, it’s going to have that effect.

Everyone knows, and has known for a long time, that pot isn’t a big deal - most people consider it to be on about the level of alcohol and tobacco. This makes them not consider it a big deal to break the law in order to go get some (similar to the public’s response to alcohol prohibition in the US). However, just like the alcohol prohibition, once you’re doing something illegal already, it’s easier to get you to do something else that’s also illegal as long as you’re already there.

So, the solution to his “this is a gateway drug” argument is quite literally exactly the decriminalization he’s arguing against. Make it legal and it loses its gateway drug status.

13 Likes

Sure, but the problem is, Republican thought never gets that complex.

15 Likes

It gets plenty complex. Like “How do we make it a mathematical certainty we elect unpopular presidents and congresspeople through applied gerrymandering.”

They don’t ever think too hard about policy though. As long as it’s handing money directly from the government to private companies and christian churches they’re happy.

9 Likes

“Christ, what an Imagination I’ve got!”

1 Like