GOP lawmaker voted against same-sex marriage, then went to his own gay son's wedding

I suspect that they’ll let their gay children marry who ever they want in private ceremonies, even if it’s not legally binding, as long as they don’t “embarrass” them by being out in public.

Many of these assholes are often very good at living by a very different set of standards than they espouse that they want the rest of us to live by. It’s not about conforming to their professed morality, but about imposing it on us plebs who are not fit for “freedom” like they are. After all, “god gave them” wealth and power, so it’s a sign of his favor, and when they do it, it’s not immoral… but when WE do it, it totally is.

14 Likes

" let’s hope these Senators do the right thing."

And that’s the kind of thinking that has us where we are today.

5 Likes

I saw some survey, done just before the Supreme Court ruling, that asked people who were strongly anti-choice if they’d assist a close friend/family member in getting an abortion, and most said they would.

I suspect a relative of the “Shirley Exception” - the “Good Reason Exception.” Those close to you, if they were to do the Bad Thing That Must be Banned, would have a good reason for doing so (not like all those other people), and thus are an exception…

12 Likes

From what I have seen, even the most earnest sounding social conservatives always have a suddenly “more nuanced” view of reality when it is their own family and friends.

5 Likes

Or probably more often, they just do whatever they want and try to cover it up.

7 Likes

Hell, there are even racists who do actually have a black/POC friend. I don’t get why, or how that friend doesn’t sock them and peace-out of the friendship with all the “No, of course I don’t mean you. You’re one of the good ones” they must be constantly dealing with - but I have come across it a couple of times over the years.

4 Likes

So this is a great and apt quote and I wanted to find out more about its author, only to find a very interesting thing is going on:

2 Likes

Maybe they knew that the dad would give a speech that they could then leak?
I can’t think of any other reason.

1 Like

There was an interview by a doctor who provides abortions who said that she had patients who she recognized as protesters of her clinic, went to her for an abortion, and then returned to protesting. Their case was special.

2 Likes
7 Likes

“Oh, that guy? He’s got a pickup truck and I’m moving in three weeks.”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.