GOP lawmakers attempt to define gay marriage as 'parody'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/02/24/gop-lawmakers-attempt-to-defin.html

2 Likes

if it’s parody isn’t it protected under the 1st amendment?

If you can claim money is a form of speech, surely it’s not too much of a stretch to claim another human construct (marriage) is too.

36 Likes

For God’s sake (literally), all you bass-ackwards morons just all move to Texas, secede, and be done with it. Then you can run your own Christian Taliban and leave the rest of us in peace to pursue or not our own understanding of capital T truth, please and thank you.

36 Likes

Think of Austin, man.

32 Likes

Please, make sure to remove all the nuclear weapons before letting Christians Talibans take over Texas.

23 Likes

as someone who is now legally married after over 20 years of being denied that possibility, i say how DARE they try to say my marriage is a “parody.” i will fight their bigotry to my grave if i have to.

79 Likes

The GOP just cannot stop thinking about Gay Men for some reason.

54 Likes

So the legalization of gay marriage didn’t make gay marriage legal? Weird, I had no idea.

20 Likes

Well, as long as we’re talking about “parodies,” WY and SC, maybe we could add “parody democracy,” “parody justice,” “parody equality,” and “States of Parody.”

29 Likes

Man, they just loooooove a lost cause down south.

22 Likes

These parody lawmakers need to start thinking instead of trying to weasel word themselves into heaven.

8 Likes

Maybe I don’t get what they are doing, but I fail to see how any attempt to “redefine” a particular kind of marriage is not in clear conflict with the Supreme Court’s ruling.

You can’t simply contrive a path around the precedent. Democracy is a fragile state. Fuck those who treat it shabbily to serve themselves.

18 Likes
4 Likes

sigh. local news promos are no substitute for the real thing-- except outside of certain US markets.

8 Likes

Speaking as someone who used to spend a lot of time studying scripture and the lives of holy men and women, people like this are obviously practicing a parody of Christianity.

33 Likes

Can anyone remind me which year the GOP are trying to wind the US back to because I can’t keep up.

7 Likes

It seems to me that this is all distraction and misdirection, in the same way pickpockets do it, and with a fairly similar end result.

7 Likes

You literally cannot parody these conservatives any more. This parody thing is proof.

15 Likes

TGOP obsess about LBGT lifestyles to the point of parody, Oh, they already proved that.

6 Likes

Yet again, we see pure projection on the part of the GOP (“Grand Old Parody”) and its lawmakers (parodies of human beings).

I’m not sure of the exact year, but I’m pretty sure it’s pre-1865.

Besides appealing to their base with empty gestures, I’m not sure sane minds can comprehend what they think they’re doing.

I think they’re just going to go directly to using Onion articles as public policy. I mean, all the time, instead of just some of the time.

9 Likes