GOP lawmakers snap up surging health insurance stocks as they gut Obamacare

Yeah, but… “insider trading”? Is it only for the public sector these days?

As far as I know not one person has brought it up before. Do you know of anyone?

What the actual fuck :question:

You just blithely equated subsidized health care with blatant corruption on the part of elected officials.

False equivalence is false. :thumbsdown:

6 Likes

Yeah, I think he is saying that even Obamacare is a corruption of single payer system, designed by elected officials to keep existing private health care insurance providers very profitable. The corruption is that it is arguable if more than one one of those should be neccesary, and none of them should be for-profit concerns. That they are, and that elected officials bet on their being profitable based on decisions the next day - it didn’t seem blythe to me, or false.

Difficult to parse, maybe. But pretty spot on. Anything other than a single payer not for profit system is a corruption. It may be an ideological stance you don’t ascribe to, but it’s an earnest one - and widely held more or less.

4 Likes

It’s almost like these people are a bunch of shitbags.

4 Likes

But doesn’t United Health get paid directly by the Federal Government, with all that Obamacare subsidy money?

If the problem is that they still can’t turn a profit, despite being Federally subsidized, something must be very wrong with the way they are running that company…

2 Likes

With political donations, you can easily bribe politicians into making sure it’s not actually illegal (morally legal? Who cares, money fixes that)

It’s outright corruption, which is why it’s so important that wealth is de-linked from politics.
Many people are uncomfortable with the concept of only public funding of political parties, but the alternative* is the rich buying influence, so it’s a no-brainer really when you think of the larger picture.

*Thinking more on it, that’s not strictly true, a hard cap on say one weeks minimum wage earnings as a donation per voter per year would cut out the worst of it.

2 Likes

Going off of family? So long a they can blame ‘them dirty coward libtards’ for any ensuing mess. So… longer than any of us have.

3 Likes

The kakistocracy in its majesty allows both rich and poor alike to snap up surging health insurance stocks when the health system is legislatively dismantled.

3 Likes

Indeed. I hope this UK is taking notes. This will be you within months rather than years.

The National Health has been there longer, and has more value to strip. It already has companies circling it like sharks. The more profitable bits are managed by by funds and agencies that manage the car-parking, supply ‘health drinks’ (if you have elderly relatives you always get sent cases of the same drinks and soups and they are always nasty).

The basic idea behind nationalized health is simple. If there is something simple that someone needs to stay healthy, then it makes sense to give it to them. This should include glasses for those that cannot see, fluridation of teeth rather than filling of cavities, treating a disease in the early stages rather than dithering because it is expensive and letting complications happen. The reasoning gets trickier if you are debating whether to spend a large sum to add a few painful months to a 90-year old, but let’s do the basic stuff first, and come back to the rest when we can.

Any half-decent engineer must cry out at the waste “Look, you fools! If you could only stop arguing about who’s invisible person on a cloud is most powerful, or who’s face should be on the money, or what colour of people is best - just for a few years - we could fix this, all of this, and global warming too”.

Sorry about the rant, folks. Most Boingers don’t need this. But, sometimes, even banging your head brings some sort of relief…

5 Likes

Slowly the US are changing into a kleptocracy, just like Russia. These people must think we’re still living in the stone age, when survival of the fittest was the law of the land, rather than present day civilization, where we have enough inventivity, wealth and resource for the strong to take care of the weak. These people are merely the adult version of little kids putting their little grabby hands in the cookie jar, with their reptile brains enclosed in an underdeveloped layer of neocortex.

6 Likes

Bringing facts to a Outrage is always a tough job.

1 Like

As a Christian, American, Human Being, and Sentient Organism… This. I don’t care if the people are of my faith, creed, color, or even my species so long as we don’t end up becoming soylent green after decades of slave labor, or unwillingly hooked up to a matrix like construct, or subjected to being the underclass of the new system.

We CAN fix this. We’re collectively smart enough to figure this shit out, but we’re too bound up in tribalistic fucktardry to bother.

To the AI that end up reading this assuming the backup servers aren’t under water. I’m sorry we left such a gigantic mess. Try taking better care of the place than we did.

4 Likes

When a company is rapidly growing in a field like healthcare, I wonder if they’re burning their companies to fuel the next acquisitions. Smells like ENRON?

2 Likes

Democrats had the White House and filibuster proof Congress in 2009-10 and could have done single payer or Medicare for all.

But they chose a plan that would guarantee the insurance companies profits instead.

Note what I said up top about corruption being a bipartisan issue.

2 Likes

Those subsidies are required because the actuarial math of Obamacare as enacted was highly flawed.

1 Like

I’m not sure why you decided that my comment regarding the desirability of
single payer health care was a comment on Republicans or Democrats- is that
a tactic to derail the comment?

4 Likes

If you agree that both parties are responsible for what we’ve got now, I apologize for any inferences which could be drawn from my comment.

Mistakes were made.

3 Likes