GOP-led Senate Intel Committee subpoenas Don Jr. over Russia

Yup. Endless pessimism and pre-emptive defeatism have achieved all the great things in the past… Wait.

7 Likes

I’m a dotard so here’s my crazy old fart theory:
One asks oneself why the Senate Republicans care about calling in Jr. Mint specially after McConnell says it’s all over.
My take is that these geniuses want to incite, as it were, a lawsuit to quash the subpoena, taking it all the way up to SCOTUS who will quash it if lower courts haven’t thereby (they think or at least hope) that there would be a legal basis for the White House to block all subpoenas into all things Trump.
Of course, like all things Trump, there are flaws. While making the infantile POTUS happy, quashing these subpoenas on bullshit grounds, even with the current SCOTUS panel, isn’t a done deal. So this may have the opposite effect: A declaration that Crooked Donnie’s claim of executive privilege is legally bullshit. And since the House isn’t exactly rushing to action, this may actually speed things up.
Too, one of Donnie’s very few replacement tailwinds for 2020 having lost all the tailwinds from 2016 is POTUS under attack. If the process in the House moves faster, specially because of this tactic in the Senate, by the election, it won’t be POTUS under attacked but POTUS attacked and so fully documented as unfit for office that even the Trump-enabling corporate media won’t be able to downplay it. (Of course, being great goose steppers – lemmings for those afraid of Godwin’s law – they don’t need extra motivation they’re always so motivated.)

I’m not that defeatist (or don’t mean to be), I just don’t think this particular subpoena is going to do anything to further the cause of the Trump family having to follow the laws of the USA. I think there is some underhandedness going on here that I can’t parse.

2 Likes

That’s possible, but it’s also possible that you’re seeing stupidity and mistaking it for underhandedness. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Exactly this.
This is nothing more than an orchestrated whitewash of Don Jr.

2 Likes

Can’t wait until Kim announces that DT is his concubine.

1 Like

I always assumed that if he lived, his presidency would end with him seeking asylum in Russia.

2 Likes

Anything he says to Congress can and will be used against him in a court of law, most likely in a state court in New York.

5 Likes

Thanks! My high school English teacher was very proud of my string of vocab quiz victories.

Given that this is the Senate ‘intel’ committee, should we be surprised if their intense questioning amount to seventeen variations on “So just how honorably awesome is your daddy?”

I’m very confused why so many people in this thread think he’s going to be grilled on the chair when it’s obvious they are only bringing him in to throw softball questions to “exonerate” him in the view of the Republican base.

2 Likes

Took me a second before I realized the etymology of the word.

1 Like

the good news is it won’t work. The 2016 House investigation of trump and russia attempted the same bullshit. Dems need to win the Senate then they can grill jr’s ass. He’s likely to be indicted by one of the 16 other investigations as well.

Because there are 7 Democrats on the Senate Intelligence committee, including at least 2 former prosecutors. They all get their time.

Also, the chair, Richard Burr, is retiring after this term. That makes him a little more independent than other Republicans. He was also caught by the Special Counsel’s investigation to have illegally and secretly reported to the White House the confidential list of investigatory targets of the initial Russia investigation. That could go either way: he may be strongly anti-Mueller as a result, or he might be looking to distance himself from any legal ramifications of his previous misconduct by playing this one straight.

5 Likes

I wonder if he used to hang out with the Marquis de Masochi.

1 Like

Shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather…

4 Likes

Oh well, at least he fared better than Rick Santorum.

6 Likes

He was actually giving some of them money to get outta Dodge.

1 Like

fight

2 Likes