GOP wants to get rid of overdraft fee limits

Nope. Alas, it’s not a joke. I should have referenced that article (exactly where I read it, I think), so thank you for doing so.

5 Likes

Hear hear! Do yourselves a favor and switch to a credit union. You won’t regret it!

Credit Unions are not-for-profit. Any money they make goes back into keeping the loan rates low and the savings rates high. And they usually pay you back any fee an outside bank charges for using an ATM.

The best way, for an individual, to fight banks is to join a credit union.

12 Likes

At one point, I was fed up with my bank, and I looked into joining a credit union. All of the ones I found required that I either was a teacher, or a soldier, or a nasa employee, or some sort of career oriented pre-requisite. There don’t seem to be any credit unions for all-comers.

1 Like

It depends on the charter. A lot of them are employment-oriented, but some just require you to live in the area (and some of the employment-oriented ones can be really lax about what qualifies, like as long as someone in your family qualifies, you’re good). It sort of depends on where you are.

6 Likes

I’m very happy with my credit union. And even happier not to have to deal with BofA any more.

2 Likes

Alliant Credit Union. It takes a $10 donation to a foster care nonprofit, but I have seriously gotten so much more than $10 back with them just paying my ATM fees over the past two years.

6 Likes

How do you overdraft a prepaid debit card? I’m very confused…

1 Like

And do you agree to these these God given unalienable rights Sir? Yes I do. “Thank you. Have a nice day.” said the drone.

I wonder if its based on a model that makes the most money without any concern for the cost of human collateral. Because that’s not their problem. Because You, you are the idiot that didn’t have enough in the account because you’re an irresponsible human being. And you should be penalized for that. Or it could just be lets see how much pain they can bare. Of course meanwhile they are figuring how to get to the optimum population monetization marker. Meanwhile another group is trying to promote it’s agenda that every life is precious and worth the same no matter who you are. And what we are seeing are those two ideologies at work. Of course I would be very open and interested in other opinions and diverse information gathering.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried this site to find one?
http://www.lovemycreditunion.org/join-a-credit-union

1 Like

Seems like every day the GOP finds another way to stick it to those of us who are working for a living. #resist

4 Likes

While coopting the downtrodden and making them think it is literally everyone else’s fault. Making the victim defend the attacker.

Diabolical.

6 Likes

It’s BECAUSE their existence is based on taking “charity” from the government. They’ve internalized the disgust against “moochers” and then project it outward.

They need to learn that people helping each other out at the state or federal level is no different than when someone from church brings over a casserole.

Remind them of how many years they were paying taxes into the system. Remind them that they’re not as helpless and worthless as they think they are.

And remind yourself: it was the Republican party that taught them to hate themselves, and taught them to blame it on the Democrats.

5 Likes

They show no self loathing, just a lot of hate for immigrants and illegals scamming the system they pay into.

1 Like

No, it is self-loathing. They’re repeating what they’ve been taught to try to keep the shame at bay.

3 Likes

Then how do you break it? Because every suggestion I’ve seen looks like it is talking down to people that need more.

2 Likes

I just did some cleanup on a bunch of likely-spam numbers that have come in this week. One had a DC area code, and came in a couple of times. When I went to the usual websites to check the number, the first few posters were all about how it was Clinton cheating the average tax payer, etc. etc., and then finally a bunch of other people pointed out that if you actually did the research, the shell company the phone number was registered to was a PAC for Trump, not Clinton. The phone calls served two purposes: some suckers would send money, thinking they were helping Clinton (I remind you, these calls came in THIS WEEK) and other suckers would use the calls to confirm their prejudices against Clinton, as taught to them by Fox News, right wing radio, etc.

Your family, and you yourself, have been convinced that it’s the other side looking down on you. The Democratic party as a whole has to clean up its act, no question, but there are a lot of local, regional, state, and even federal representatives on the Democratic ticket who do represent their constituents. They’re not the real problem: the group that has consistently and audaciously put down and laughed at the “average Joes” in the U.S. is the party your family clings to. (In fairness, it’s not the party it used to be, either. But at this point, it may be so damaged that repair is no longer possible.) It’s an abusive relationship, and it won’t get better until you all realize you’ve been trained not to trust the people who are most likely to help you if you reach out to them. You have all been gaslighted…you, too.

5 Likes

My chief problem with you is how you’ve talked more than what you have talked about since I know first hand the kind of language you have been using will cause a massive dustup. Your message will be lost for the noise and the distraction that you are some libtard come from your ivory tower paid for by their money to tell them how stupid shitty and horrible they are.

Frankly both parties disgust me. Democrats for being bought and paid for business interests, and republicans being the evil league of evil.

What language have I been using? What are you talking about?

Did you not read a single thing I wrote? I’m telling you that entire sentence is a LIE. It’s not true. Stop believing it.

Let’s get back to overdraft fee limits, shall we?

6 Likes

In normal functional society do they have any reason to exist?

‘Yes the guy who has no money in his account clearly has enough to pay fines.’ Seems… A touch backward.

2 Likes