GOP wants to get rid of overdraft fee limits

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/09/gop-wants-to-get-rid-of-overdr.html

6 Likes

Well I guess money is speech.

17 Likes

Sure… what are consumer protections good for?

15 Likes

here’s hoping every one of these betrayals is another nail in the GOP coffin.

29 Likes

Absolutely nothing?

…wait… I think that was war.

28 Likes

Of course they do.

12 Likes

Remember! It’s only class warfare if you criticize the rich “Job Creators.”

31 Likes

Waaaaaaaah we bankers don’t make enough money.

25 Likes

Well if You were a little more responsible with YOUR money YOU wouldn’t be stealing MINE with Obamacare. You even get free phones because of money I have to pay in because YOU are a worthless unamerican scumbag.

Off to debtor’s prison with you.

/s? Youguys dorealize I’m sorta taking the supposed piss here, right?

26 Likes

You need a sarcasm tag, otherwise, this is a great Poe.

16 Likes

Poe? I was quoting my stepdad.

38 Likes

Oh dear. And here I thought that you were being sarcastically exaggerated for the purposes of a Poe’s Law joke… which, I suppose, we just accomplished, from the other direction.

16 Likes

I’m confused. Isn’t a debit card that you can overdraft just a credit card?

11 Likes

It’s like they’re daring the people to put them in the guillotine

15 Likes

From the Buzzfeed article:

Getting rid of the new rule will help “keep costs down and features available,” Scott Talbott, the senior vice president of government affairs at the ETA told BuzzFeed News. “While the rule doesn’t outright ban overdrafts, it’s death by a thousand cuts”

Overdrafts are an important product for the industry to offer, Talbott said, because cash-strapped customers are often happy to pay overdraft fees as an alternative to missing bill payments, which often come with their own set of late fees.

Does anyone believe this stuff?

24 Likes

Apparently the TGOP, Drumpf and their supporters do.

4 Likes

Not really.

A debit card (from a bank account with zero balance) has a whole bunch of extra fees when you go into a balance owing, whereas, with a credit card, “balance owing” (or, at best, “zero balance”) is the expected state of affairs, and doesn’t incur any additional fees beyond transactions and interest.

10 Likes

That’s the thing, I don’t understand how they could. This just sounds like flimsy excuses to give the veneer of “consumer-friendliness.”

4 Likes

True, but you have to remember a lot of these people though Drumpf would bring jobs back to the US and wouldn’t touch their healthcare.

3 Likes

It’s just another poverty tax. Plain and simple. Lemme see if any of my Trumpeteer relatives can defend this shit sandwich.

27 Likes