Gorgeous solo bass cover of The Cranberries' "Zombie"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/06/gorgeous-solo-bass-cover-of-th.html

5 Likes

A nice rendition. Minimalist and mournful but faithful to the original.

I also enjoyed watching the effect of the camera sampling the vibrating strings giving some nice aliasing. It is left as an assignment for the viewer to calculate the frequency of the alias.

4 Likes

All that with only four notes?!

1 Like

Beautiful performances, thanks @pesco!

My friend Jehan says those little amps you can take anywhere are “the most fun you can have with four penlight batteries.”

3 Likes

Lots of notes. 4 strings.

1 Like

Lots of notes. 4 strings.

A teeny bit more precisely:

4 strings. Zero notes. Lots of sounds.

(A note is the symbol that represents a sound.) :sunglasses:

1 Like

Sorry… I have friends who play bass. This is what we do to bassists.

3 Likes

@beschizza , I believe @MQtiepie requires the coveted Pedant Pendant! :rofl:

5 Likes

I like that. I’m going to go 3rd level pedant on you, though. Technically, bass ‘strings’ are more like cables.

1 Like

Bottom E should be 41.2 Hz. If the camera is sampling at 40 fps with a shutter angle of only a few degrees as the string looks sharp, then the alias frequency should be 1.2 Hz.

7 Likes

He choked the note in Zombie at 0:26. Stopped watching at that point because my YouTube standards have just got SO HIGH.

1 Like

Compile Error 6455
‘cables’ = reserved word, defined for electrical connectors.

2 Likes

does anyone recognize the amp in the video?
I’d like to know what a bassist this good thinks is acceptable in a portable.
(disclosure: 15 basses, 8 amps, 10 cabinets, BUT NO PORTABLE!)

1 Like

I never realized how wide the amplitude of a vibrating string was. That aliasing was great

1 Like

Sir,
I must inform you that I am compelled to take issue with your statement.

2 Likes

To clearify, I was speaking in the electric bassists lexicon.
Now you have compounded the error.

‘bridge’ = reserved word for contrasting section of a song, often in a related key. See “The Crunge” by Led Zeppelin.
Also, the word ‘cord’ doesn’t exist on-stage, all chords have an ‘H’.

Have I earned my pint yet?

1 Like

I’m afraid not.
Per the Standard Rules of Pedantry (SRoP), any deviation from SRoP requires explicit prior notification.
You’ve issued your clarification after making your original point, without prior notification. This means that SRoP apply.
Therefore, you lose the point and the pint.

Also per the SRoP you may appeal the ruling; but it’s complicated, obviously, and the tl;dr is that the best possible outcome is: you can prove that your point is valid in itself and receive a crème de menthe.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.