Got eye floaters? Researchers have created gold nanoparticles that bust them up

I try to think of them as free entertainment

When I was a kid, I’d try to inspect the obvious ones, but was continually frustrated by my efforts, because they lie just outside my central field of vision.

5 Likes

Isn’t that a Bible quote?

“Why do you call attention to the moat in your brother’s eye and ignore the drawbridge in yours?”

11 Likes

Gold nano floaters? What? Could I (at a later date) cash my eyeballs at a pawnshop? One at a time might be prudent. Thinking into the future. Asking for a friend.

2 Likes

These would be distinct from floaters caused by diabetic retinopathy which are caused by blood vessels rupturing in the eye causing blood to release into the eye and obscure vision.

I’ve unfortunately had this condition for 10 years, it’s now under control after leading to a week of legit being blind because so much blood got released in both eyes at once (shout out to my former manager who wouldn’t let me take time off to get the laser treatments to cauterize the blood vessels!).

Retinopathy is not fun to treat - initial treatment is a laser to cauterize the blood vessels in your eyes, it’s a very bright light that feels like someone pressing a lit match into your eyeballs repeatedly and quickly for what seems like forever. If too much blood is released in your eyes a victrectomy may be required to restore vision - since this condition is common in diabetics and infections are a high concern for diabetics, this is basically the last resort. I’ve had it in my left eye which is now crystal clear but the right eye has been unable to see completely clearly for about 8 years now. It can also mean higher risk of catracts, which did indeed happen to me as well, resulting in cataract surgery before I was 50 that happily gave me 20/20 vision without glasses for distance viewing in my left eye for the first time since I was 8. So that was good anyways :slight_smile:

If you’ve got floaters definitely get checked out by an eye doctor, don’t wait, being unable to see around massive blood spills in your eyes sucks.

7 Likes

That can indicate a detached retina, which is extremely contact-an-ophthalmologist-at-home serious.

6 Likes

You can buy all kinds of floaties in colors! at the Dollar General.

Do yourself a favor and stay away, if you possibly can, from laser eye surgery of any kind. The aftereffects are annoying as hell - dry eye, halos around night time lights, etc.

2 Likes

umm… Doesn’t gold have immunosuppressant effects? Not sure if I want to be injecting it into my eyes.

Oh yeah google!

1. Lorber A, Simon T, Leeb J, Peter A, Wilcox S. Chrysotherapy, suppression of immunoglobulin synthesis. Arthritis Rheum. 1978;21:785–91. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

2. Snowden N, Dietch DM, Teh LS, Hilton RC, Haeney MR. Antibody deficiency associated with gold treatment: natural history and management in 22 patients. Ann Rheum Dis. 1996;55:616–21. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

2 Likes

I thought it was just a result of the drugs…

1 Like

I suppose everyone would want their eyes demoted.

2 Likes

I woke up with floaters the mornings by after have by someone me blurring. (I thought I’d got some me sun screen in my eye) turned out it was a tear in my retirement ha and I needed emergency surgery. That was three years ago and I’ve been positively terrified every time I see the two nicest spec since. That is not a surgery I’d wish on anyone.

2 Likes

Alcohol%20To%20Drown%20My%20Problems%2C%20Swimmers

3 Likes

moteingodseye_1741

1 Like

uh-oh…I have a party goin’ on with fireworks, too!

1 Like

I wonder if I’ll ever see Moties in a movie…:thinking:

My mind immediately went there as well. I miss the escapades of Bebe Babaganoush.

1 Like

I’ve many moats in my eyes but I’m no god except in the Church of All Worlds context, grok? I’ve endured over a dozen retinal and corneal procedures in the past two years, with lasers and intrusive tools. Many floaters were removed, along with all those necrotic bits. My one-and-a-third eyes retain a few small floaters but they’re minor. Big blurry areas of dead retina are worse.

A few gold nanoparticles? Feh. I want Geordie LaForge’s visor.

1 Like

Came to see if someone was gonna post this.

Yep.

I hate those things

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.