Got eye floaters? Researchers have created gold nanoparticles that bust them up

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/26/got-eye-floaters-researchers.html

7 Likes

Got eye floaters?

No thanks, I got other floaters instead.

8 Likes

i have eye floaters. i’ve always wondered if they were a hint of some future catastrophe, or just a benign thing that break up and go away on their own. my eye doctors to date haven’t had much to say about them.

7 Likes

They’re just small masses of collagen in the vitreous humor.

They flake off the tissue inside the eyeball. Some people have more. Some people have fewer. They don’t appear to go away. They don’t seem to indicate any disease.

12 Likes

“…bust them up”?

I think only a family doctor in the country could get away with that: “Dem floaters ya got fiddlin’ 'round in yur eyeballs? We gonna bust 'em up! Garrr-unn-teeed!”

6 Likes

Some floaters are also the result of retinal issues, such as small tears in the nerve tissue, and internal bleeding. I hope this treatment proves effective, I have more than my share.

10 Likes

Most are harmless and not a symptom of anything problematic, but if you have retinal issues, they can be an indicator, especially when flashes coincide.

8 Likes

Dang, I thought mine where allowing me to see into “The Upside Down.”

I guess I can’t refer to those around me as ‘mere mortals’ any more.

12 Likes

Same here. My right eye is a party of floaters. This happened after a retinal tear. Not all floaters are from collagen. Typically, floaters from tears are from blood, or other retinal debris. I hope that this treatment would work for me.

10 Likes

yeah, my eye doc is always asking me about flashing. i don’t think i’ve ever experienced those – i’m assuming if i did, i’d immediately know what they are talking about.

6 Likes

Bust up floaters?

1 Like

Here I was hoping they would use some kind of automatic nano-gold shotgun.

2 Likes

Healthy eyeballs are filled with a transparent, jelly-like substance

At first I read this as “they fill healthy eyeballs with a jelly-like substance” :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

4 Likes

Wasn’t there a Bond movie about this?

11 Likes

Though I have floaters now and then, I don’t mind them… much. It’s when they don’t move that I get concerned that they aren’t floaters but actual damage to my lens. Or to the rods and cones. Which means I would be worried about a treatment being worse than the condition, as gold may eventually find its way to damage the rods and cones. And then I realise the researcher are probably considering this.

Oh well. Wait and see.

3 Likes

Most of the time I can ignore my floaters. The only time they really become annoying is if I’m trying to swat away a fly or mosquito, then I can’t tell where the damn thing is because the floaters all look like bugs flying around.

4 Likes

I have a floater in my right eye.

My biggest complaint is that it is not perfectly centered. Throws off my aim a little.

3 Likes

You need the floaters to get across the moat in your eye, no drawbridge. (Did I really say that?)

5 Likes

I think being nearsighted gets you more floaters.

Or at least lets you see them more clearly.

3 Likes