GPU-accelerated dismemberment demo: 10,000 zombies in a giant blender

I’m REALLY hoping that this is the most messed up thing that I see today (fingers crossed).

4 Likes

I’m with you. I found it shockingly dull.

3 Likes

I watched about 30 seconds and turned it off. I’m glad I’m not caught up in all the CGI nutshittery. That’s my new word. Will it go viral for 2019?

2 Likes

Yeah, the dismembering obviously isn’t procedural - they come apart at the same few (clearly pre-determined) points. I didn’t see any of the procedural stuff talked about in action, either.
The part that impresses me is that they can manage so many NPCs in one area and on screen at the same time. That’s pretty cool, and opens up interesting possibilities.

5 Likes

Of course, for all we know this was rendered at 1 frame per second on a ginormous workstation.

2 Likes

Was that intentionally an apocalyptic/bodyhorror piece starring ferrofluid; or did I mistake a special effect for the starring role?

So is this a game in development? Ad for their new engine? Can I play this?

Why yes, nutshittery is the Word of the Year!

2 Likes

It’s the same tech as behind the “Ultimate Epic Battle Simulator” which is real-time simulation of large numbers of units, and this is a game tech demo, so I’m pretty sure it’s real-time as well. I’m sure it’s like UEBS in that it requires pretty beefy computers (with some serious GPUs and CPUs), but it’s a game designed to be playable with a lot of entities on screen at once.
I’ve always wanted a more tactical George Romero-style slow zombie game, but the inability to have large numbers of zombies was always an impediment. Not any more!

1 Like

More empathy-deadening, desensitizing programming?

Pass.

3 Likes

this contains an egregious technological error: 10k mulched zombies won’t fit in a space 100ft dia x 2 to 4 feet deep. a disposal mechanism should be included, and jeez, some washer jets too, this is just an infectious septic ground zero waiting to happen. who’s gonna clean it up with only a few survivors left in the world? any flies attracted by the rotting mess could continue to spread the zombie plague to other species.

2 Likes

Accurate visualization of single-issue voters turning their district red.

1 Like

A new direction for the Quay Brothers.

Too much zombies in pop culture, we need a 15 years break.
It’s quite a shame they use this engine to do something so bland.

At some point overexposure will turn people off it. When that happens, I don’t know, honestly I’ve personally reached that point already. Guess it will be whenever they cancel the walking dead.

1 Like

I’m sure we already pass “peak zombie” (was it before the Super Hero trend ? Or a bit later ?) that’s what makes this demo so… dated.
A medieval twist on the zombie genre is not enough, what about a mob of angry peasants who don’t want to eat brioche ? I’d love a game in witch you lead insurgents during a revolution.

Demos with big swarms with things going on aren’t exactly new, the GPU acceleration aspect could have been pretty good if they’d actually done anything with it… maybe we’ll see it in game engines lightening the load on the CPU, but with mainstream current-gen CPU core counts steadily rising again, it’s not exactly a great time to be worried about doing that any more.

1 Like

This is why I stopped watching The Walking Dead. They should have figured out machines like this very early on. Instead they are still caught off guard by shambling, groaning cadavers while walking through the woods. They all deserve what they get.