Grandiose narcissists reject experts, study finds

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/12/grandiose-narcissists-reject-experts-study-finds.html

Now, @frauenfelder, playing armchair psychiatrist is violation of the BBS TOS. :smirk:

21 Likes

Hey nobody’s saying DT is definitely a raging sociopathic narcissist… just that he seems to check all the boxes describing one.

:wink:

33 Likes

Oh, so that’s what the experts say is it…well, we’ll just have to wait and see. I’ve got some very good sources telling me otherwise.

12 Likes

Well, there are ALTERNATIVE experts, you know

7 Likes

Does anyone else feel hugely skeptical of information like this? How in the world do you conduct a study comparing risk-aversion between people with narcissistic tendencies and a control group?

1 Like

Definitively cutting a grandiose narcissist out of my life six years ago was one of the best and most gratifying decisions I ever made. For some reason, I get the sense that 10s of millions of Americans have a similar feeling these days.

26 Likes

Anyone we know?

3 Likes

…for this study, 252 people were recruited from the pool of American English-speaking people who are both aware of and actively participate in Amazon’s Mechanical Turk service. The resulting pool was 69% white and 95% college educated. The test participants reported annual income of $60,000-$90,000, but were also willing to take a lengthy pschological test for $1.80 in total compensation.

This seems like a solid base from which to extrapolate about humanity. /s

5 Likes

You seem pretty irate about this topic, yo.

Tomorrow, there probably will be yet another study to counter this one.

But why are you using a picture of Trump? None of that sounds anything like him.

/s for those who need it.

5 Likes

Sounds legit.

But the results sound pretty obvious, so the $1.80 was probably wasted.

3 Likes

People are always hating on us narcissists, but I think you’ll find that just about everything we get blamed for is actually caused by the incompetence of the people around us.

Follow me on Twitter for at least a hundred tweets a day just like this!

12 Likes

You joke, but…

9 Likes

Fearfully, sadly, and — for many — tragically, all too well.

3 Likes

As Adam said, “I reject your reality, and substitute my own.” Which works until you are FIRED!

2 Likes

Would you advise that we outright “reject experts”?

6 Likes

The Eysenck Newsletter Journal of Human Biodiversity “Personality & Individual Differences” has a history of stovepiping utter shite, so take any paper there with caution.

1 Like

Obviously not! I reject that these people are experts.

Joking aside, I have reservations about psychology in general. Replication crisis - Wikipedia

How is it “obvious?”

Especially these days, when some people seem to believe in the most implausible, unbelievable things…

2 Likes