Grant Hart, Hüsker Dü's drummer/singer, RIP

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/09/14/grant-hart-husker-dus-drumm.html

This is so sad to me.

1 Like

I got to see Hüsker Dü on the Warehouse tour. I was going to Catholic boarding school at the time. I asked Brother Ken (the dorm prefect) what would it take to be able to go to the show. He said I would have to get permission from my mother - which I knew would never happen. Later that day, Brother Ken stopped me in the hall to asked if I had called my mother. I said ‘No’, He asked ‘What’s her number’. So, he called her and told here that I was on the Honor Roll (which was a lie) and talked her into giving permission. It was an amazing show. I remember that they closed with “Reoccurring Dreams” - with each member leaving the stage with their guitars feeding back. I wore the t-shirt I got at that show until it literally fell apart.

Years later, Grant opened for my band in Atlanta. Why he was opening for us is still a mystery to this day. But, I go to talk to him for a while - and even told him that story. He was very nice. So sad to hear of his passing.

9 Likes

Hüsker Dü was a huge band for me as well. Grant’s last solo album The Argument is a late career treasure. RIP

oh man. so great. especially on his own…one of his best:

1 Like

That fellow had some great chops

I just can’t manage any eloquence. Husker Du was like maybe 3rd on my list, back in the day, after the Minutemen and Dead Kennedys. I know that Land Speed Record is not their strongest work, but it was their first full record and captured a jittery, angsty, angry energy and I played the crap out of it.

Goodbye and thanks for the good memories you gave me.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.