Graphic novel about one of the most epic SCP Foundation entires

Originally published at: Graphic novel about one of the most epic SCP Foundation entires | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Hm. That one is kind of grim dark even for the SCPverse.

Did they ever solve the problem of that Russian wanker who was trying to claim rights over everything?

5 Likes

Everybody knows about Warehouse 13, right?

4 Likes

Nope. I only know about Warehouse 23. Fnord.

7 Likes

I don’t quite grok SCP… I see there are multiple SCP-6000s and there is voting going on…is that to determine which SCP-6000 gets to be the “official” SCP-6000 ?

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation. SCP is one of those things like Wikipedia that prove MBA programs don’t know jack about motivating people.

If you enjoy really well-written SCP stuff also checkout There Is No Antimemetics Division by qntm. I discovered it a few months ago and read it straight through in one, maybe two sittings.

5 Likes

“Sir, I’m afraid that golden apple is going to have to come with us …”

1 Like

Speaking of SCP stuff, i found this rather awesome webcomic a while back :slight_smile:

Contained
cd5d0b42-3351-4bd9-b0c8-1b429443d537

1 Like

Heh - had to do my own recursive walk through the chunk of the SCP archives linked to by the SCP-5000 article. Quite fun!

And then I read the main theory in the SCPDeclassified reddit thread for this article - which tries to explain wtf we just read. As a result my perspective re: the ending of SCP-5000 did a 180 flip.

Holy

Crap

1 Like

My eldest keeps try to describe SCP to me. It just freaks me out. What’s the deal? Where does it stem from?

1 Like

My youngest introduced me to SCP - they’re crowd-sourced creepy stories, around a theme of “special containment protocols” (I think!), written in the style of field reports. It’s like creepypasta, but arranged around the common SCP theme of found/discovered objects/entities that have to be contained to protect humanity.

3 Likes
1 Like

And featuring Thread Sewn Binding!

Case binding.

Me too! I’ve been especially interested in how that book (and lots of others) are clearly printed to order. I order the book, and that day or the next day the book is printed. (there’s an entry on the first or last blank page stating the date)

What this means is that there is a machine that can just make a regular paperback book, with a colored, thick tagboard cover that looks identical with other books. And apparently it does this in several different sizes (4x6, 6x10 etc.) - depending on the book. And apparently this machine makes it a profitable enterprise. Can you even imagine how complicated this machine must be?

I think I need to add this to the list of things that confirm to me that I have made it to the future. The list includes massive windmills generating electricity, those huge mirror arrays in the Nevada/California desert that focus on a giant boiler to make electricity, and the ubiquity of smart-phones such that almost everyone has access to what is essentially the "Hitch-hiker’s Guide to the Universe. Clearly wonders will NOT cease.

2 Likes

I doubt SCP-1689 would make a good graphic novel.

Yes, as I understand it, that’s it exactly. SCP-6000 will be determined by a contest: SCP-6000 Contest Hub - SCP Foundation which has now ended. I don’t think they’ve announced the winner yet.

Overall, it’s just a bunch of people who like writing creepy stories and are doing it in a shared world.

That’s an intriguing statement…what does it mean? (Honest question)

SCP is one of those things like Wikipedia that prove MBA programs don’t know jack about motivating people.

That’s an intriguing statement…what does it mean? (Honest question)

Crowdsourcing projects like Wikipedia and SCP, where people contribute massive amounts of time without any expectation of tangible rewards demonstrate some of the holes in Management Theory, which, to be fair, mostly grew out of antiquated notions about how people make decisions.

The flaw is the idea that people work or create value only to earn things of greater value like we’re all running a constant ledger of debits and credits in our head.

In reality, people, as long as they feel safe and are healthy, love to work and will find things to work on that interest them. It’s not even about recognition really (notice how many SCPs and wiki entries are anonymous or psuerdonymous).

It’s really interesting stuff. Think of all the real effort people put into leveling up a character in a game. They get no compensation for all that work and it doesn’t matter a bit in the grand scheme of things, but they love being good at it and getting to do it their own way.

Don’t get me wrong. Management Theory is catching up. They got closer with Gamification and such but then twisted it to try to make it fit legacy ideas (see the dystopian nightmare Amazon built by “gamifying” warehouse work).

So that’s some of what I was thinking when I wrote that sentence.

1 Like

Cool. I just wondered how MBA’s even got into the equation.

A big section of economics is based on people being “rational actors” so there is no shortage of crazy ideas that result from it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.