"Gravity-defying" beach sculptures made from raw materials there

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/25/gravity-defying-beach-scul.html

2 Likes

Andy Goldsworthy spooky? Impressive, yes. Astounding, indeed. Spooky, not so much.

9 Likes

Gravity defying? More like gravity relying!

17 Likes

Andy Goldsworthy is not spooky tho no

3 Likes

Spooky Andy Goldsworthy would be a good band name.

3 Likes

Tonight I am going to settle in next to the fire, put some Edgar Allen Poe on hi-fi and leaf through my Spooky Andy Goldsworthy picture books. I am getting chills already.

Today I go down to Kelly Point Park to sculpt. I always like when I see others who have stacked, dug, wove and otherwise manipulated a tiny fun spot in nature.

1 Like

IT’S AN ARCH

5 Likes

“It’s like Andy Goldsworthy but admittedly copied from Andy Goldsworthy for fun” more like

1 Like

That is subject to the laws of gravity. My recommendation: Admire from a safe distance, but don’t expect gravity-defiance if you are standing beneath the arch and things get a bit wobbly. I’ve seen many unfortunate accidents arise from a misplaced and erroneous belief in gravity-defiance, which sadly remains only available in science fiction or fantasy. Ask any 10 year old who has jumped off the roof of their home trusting in the gravity-defying capabilities of a blanket fastened at the neck by a safety pin. “To infinity and… oops!”

1 Like

I had an awesome bat costume as a 4 year old, never did help soften the landings when jumping off the picnic table.

2 Likes

1 Like

The picture is an arch but the ones in the BBC article are more “gravity-defying” although not defying so much and he dismantles them to avoid injuries when the defiance fails.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.