Great moments in Buck Rogers: Twiki offers a toast

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/04/great-moments-in-buck-rogers.html

6 Likes

I saw that in the theater…
While it doesn’t live up to the awesome that my 12 year old self thought it was it is still goofy fun.

ETA also Erin Gray, one of my favorite character actors Henry Silva and Felix Silla (Cousin Itt) in the Twiki Suit

14 Likes

Toast has long held a soft stop in my heart. As well as Whiskey, and my Dear Wife, not necessarily in that order.

5 Likes

In the year 1987, at the John F. Kennedy Space Center, NASA launched the last of America’s deep space probes. The payload, perched on the nose cone of the massive rocket, was a one-man exploration vessel - Ranger 3. Aboard this compact starship, a lone astronaut - Captain William “Buck” Rogers - was to experience cosmic forces beyond all comprehension.

Great show!

10 Likes

Yeah, I tried revisiting it a few years ago. I doesn’t hold up. But with a little MST3K commentary…

8 Likes

Oh very cool!

Yay Mel Blanc! It’s always good to hear his voice, or a voice of his.

5 Likes

Few years ago I had to make this very silly re-edit of the Space Rockers episode to remove all the plot.

(Started out as I just wanted to show somebody the music and style as an example and I got me giggling so I kept going.)

Also the episode with Gary Coleman where he was ruling a planet but was also from the 20th century, My head cannon at the time and still is that was Arnold Drummond who by the end of Diff’rent Strokes got stuck in cryo woken up and seen as a genius and given his own planet to rule.

Really This is how I connect the show Facts of Life to Buck Rogers in my silly Facts of Life extended universe.

13 Likes

Oh, my, the dancing with hoses episode. I thought I’d complete forgotten that, and I wish I could go back to that blissful misconception.

4 Likes

You’re welcome.

3 Likes

I can’t understand how hundreds of years in the future the music hasn’t progressed beyond corny 70’s fusion, except that they’ve invented wild new instruments to play it on (that make all the same sounds as ye olde synths and guitars and drums.)

Wait, I got it! There’s a 70’s fusion revival in the 25th century!

8 Likes

Thanks for making the gentiles manually look up “L’Chaim”

4 Likes

…cosmic forces beyond all comprehension…

…into an orbit a thousand times more vast, an orbit which was to return the ship full circle… in 500 years.

Then the forces can be simply calculated, right? They’re not beyond comprehension if you passed high school physics.

2 Likes

Sounds as nasty as the Webster ST:TNG crossover.

6 Likes

It really wasn’t a crossover but I kinda wish it was.

3 Likes

Twiki’s voice is much deeper than i remember.

2 Likes

Perhaps you are remembering the second voice Twiki had?

(from wiki: Another change in the second season was the sound of Twiki’s voice. Mel Blanc left the series after the end of the first season and another actor, Bob Elyea, supplied Twiki’s voice. Blanc returned for the final six episodes of the second season, though no explanation was given for the change in Twiki’s voice. )

5 Likes

Oooh and Ray Walston. I kinda want to watch em all again just for the guest star spots.

3 Likes

that could definitely be. i haven’t seen the show since it aired, but if this happened (and i do kind of remember a voice change), that would explain it for sure. i’m also surprised that it only lasted two seasons!

3 Likes

It lives up to mine.

3 Likes

I was just going to post that I mimicked his “bidi bidi bidi” before he said it, and the pitches matched exactly.

It appears that in some people, the neurons dedicated to Twiki voice recall are more persistent than in others.

EDIT: This might be the voice you are looking for:

2 Likes