Battlestar Galactica's 'Muffit the Daggit' was played by a chimpanzee

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/24/muffit-the-daggit-was-played-b.html

5 Likes

monkey =/= chimp

But yeah, that’s messed up.

11 Likes

Aww. Dang. Now I feel better they didn’t have them in the new series.

PS His handler’s outfit is outta this world! (I’ll just show myself out now.)

4 Likes

I am glad I never had any real affection for the show, because I wouldn’t want to be fond of something that had animal abuse in every episode.

3 Likes

I am glad I didn’t know this as a kid. While I loved Daggit, I don’t like primates like chimps.

2 Likes

monkey != chimp

please.

7 Likes

Monkey ≠ chimp.

Yay Android!

6 Likes

Now I’m waiting to find out what horrific thing we’ll learn about Buck Rogers’ friend Twiki.

9 Likes

Perhaps “bidi bidi bidi” means “I’m soiling my stiff plastic suit.”

5 Likes

Oh! blah:

5 Likes

monkey <> chimp.

Puh-leese.

4 Likes

I can’t even remember why I didn’t have any affection for the show.
I was on board with Space 1999, Ark 2000, and Planet of the Apes (tv series), so I’m pretty sure it wasn’t due to good taste.

2 Likes

I’m with you. BSG was more-or-less made for me and my generation (I was born in 1969), but for some unknown reason, I never got into it. My friends had the BSG lunchboxes and toys, but I myself was all Star Wars (and Trek, to a lesser extent) back then.

To this day I haven’t seen more than 2 or 3 of the old episodes, though I did greatly enjoy the first couple seasons of the reboot. To this day, “33” is one of the finest, most gripping hours of television I’ve ever seen.

I wonder if the old series holds up at all.

Nine marmosets held together with velcro.

7 Likes

In a less animal-cruelty vein: I was about a third of the way through Silent Running when it finally clicked that the robots could only have been portrayed by legless actors walking on their hands. (A making-of documentary on the DVD confirmed this).

13 Likes

Really?

The shit I learn. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Wow. Looking at those guys now (I still haven’t seen Silent Running, to my shame), I gotta say the 70s aesthetic is strong there. I don’t think they even make that shade of green anymore.

5 Likes

I love Silent Running.

Shame Douglas Trumbull didn’t make any more films. Something to go with Natalie Wood’s death scuppering Brainstorm, I think.

2 Likes

That show was horrible. They actually made a feature film on it too. One film reviewer said, “Buck Rogers in the 25th Century! A bomb in ANY year!”

1 Like

Please. That’s avocado.

3 Likes