Great white bit California surfer's board, fortunately not surfer

[Read the post]

The Academy of Sciences (briefly) displayed as surfboard from a great white attack. In this case the shark did, fatally, chomp the surfer. It was taken down after being considered too ghoulish, but I did see it as a child and marveled at how, like this one, it looked like something out of a cartoon: the whole front of the board gone, with an arc of scalloped tooth marks defining the edge.

The bite measured 13Ā½ inches wide and 8 inches deep.
Sharks typically take an investigative bite before deciding whether to go in for a kill, and this was probably an investigative bite, Harris said.

I wonder how many carcasses are floating around in the ocean because a great white did a 13"x8" ā€œinvestigativeā€ bite and then was like, ā€œMeh, not really feeling ā€˜sealā€™ today.ā€

8 Likes

Probably not very many. I imagine that most living creatures that receive an investigative bite are deemed to be tasty to eat. Itā€™s only the inorganics that donā€™t get the seal (no pun intended) of approval.

2 Likes

Weā€™re told that great whites are supposed to not like the taste of people, but I have a hard time swallowing that.

4 Likes

see, the board was blood-red.

also: ā€œAnd I was, like, thatā€™s not what dolphins do.ā€

yeah, dolphins are much more interested in sex than calories.

Will you be very upset if I cast doubt on your ā€œno pun intendedā€ caveat?

2 Likes

Not at all upset. Though it really was unintended, I only realized after I typed it. Itā€™s not very clever, and Iā€™m not actually even THAT clever, sadly enough.

1 Like

Thereā€™s actually an even more interesting story for Boing Boing readers linked within this article, of a drone operator spotting a shark cruising around a whole lot of surfers:
http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2015/08/10/3756777_drone-shark-pismo-beach-surfers.html?rh=1

1 Like

Pedant, but FTFY.

Many have gps navigation and they are self balancing and have a lot of advanced flight computing going on. Why is it not a drone? Why does it matter to either of us? :wink:

1 Like

Any time anybody mentions a drone, all I can ever think of is one of these:

1 Like

Even those have remote pilots, so in a way are no more autonomous than a high end hobbyist quadcopter type.

But yeah, honestly, same here.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.