Griping about moderation, bias, et cetera

All flags, regardless of who threw them, are reviewed by moderators if they are upheld. I do not look at (nor care) who threw the flags. While users can choose to provide details as to why they flagged a post (and this is often invaluable, as I’m not aware of the subtleties of every topic or the dog-whistles of every bigoted community that may try to trolley here), ultimately, posts are removed or kept based on how much value they add to the conversation taking place.

The idea that a cabal of secret users has special authority here is preposterous. There are some highly valued Leaders in the community, chosen because moderators usually agree with their flags, who may be able to hide a post more easily (with fewer flags) than others, but these flags are still reviewed by moderators. And they don’t show up as special “This is an important flag!” to the moderators, either. Lastly, we literally did away with the invite-only, high user lounges (which anyone could obtain access to if you were enough of a Regular here in good standing) because we wanted to avoid even the appearance of a second-class member here. We are all mutants.

What you seem to fail to realize, even after a month away, is that your posts derail topics. You try to take the discussion in a different direction. I often use a cocktail party as a metaphor for our discussions, and walking into a group discussing Star Wars and saying “But what about how much better Star Trek is?” Or “I know you’re all talking about the races of Star Wars, but I think we should be discussing the ships as well” doesn’t help those discussions along - it attempts to end one line of conversation, to substitute your own.

This is why forums have topics, and why discourse has the ability to split off new topics from any post, by any user - it allows you to take a subgroup of that cocktail party that wants to discuss your interests into a separate area, and have that discussion, without causing the original discussion to end.

It’s clear, though, from your belief that 1) you were banned not because of your actions, but because of the actions of others, and 2) your complete failure to understand how your actions involve others that the very idea that other people may be having a conversation and don’t believe you should come in and disrupt it is foreign to you.

Because of this, I strongly suggest you find another community. Do, or do not, but you can’t come back here.

23 Likes