Griping about moderation, bias, et cetera

So I just got paroled. I read the entire “Communication Breakdown” thread while I was gone & I wonder if it might be best that I go back to lurking & not commenting? Maybe I’m not a good fit here.

@orenwolf Is there a way to deactivate my account, but still maintain a channel to reach an admin should I wish to return?

PS: Some ideas: Given that BB uses a military-style ranking system:

Lessen the timeouts to “Restriction to quarters” for 36-48 hours. Two weeks is a long time.

Demotion. Loss of rank and/or posting privileges for the stronger offenses. (e.g. Read Only and Like/Dislike Only). Restriction to quarters for longer periods.

An appeal. Every defendant should be able to appeal to the moderation staff. As yet, there was no way for me to explain myself. I was in the wrong, no doubt, but I had no recourse. This strikes one as dictatorial, not democratic; quite the opposite to the editorial position of the site. We should practice what we preach.

Make the punishment fit the offense. The punishments meted out here are very binary and I think there’s a better way to deal with good-faith/misguided users/having a bad day vs. true bad actors.

I enjoy reading the discourse here and I don’t want to leave.

1 Like