Griping about moderation, bias, et cetera

Something is clearly afoot, since I am getting notifications for things that happened weeks or longer ago (just had like 20 "Nice Post"s suddenly appear)

7 Likes

Case closed.

15 Likes

Ok, whose bright idea was all that?

Recursive hamburgers as far as the eye can see…

Just how many clicks does it take to get to the gooey center?

6 Likes

a “social psychology experiment” :face_with_monocle:

8 Likes

Hey, hey, nobody’s making you give electric shocks to those people, you were already doing that when we got here.

5 Likes

we’re teaching them to scream better

5 Likes

Just to cosign:

WTF with the interface?

I don’t mind necessary upgrades now and then, but Discourse is on some Microsoft Vista level bullshit right now; half the useful features are missing, and the ones that are there are in a horrible counterintuitive configuration.

9 Likes

Now when I compose a post, I see nothing in the preview window.

5 Likes

According to the Cube Rule of Food, a hot dog generally falls under the umbrella of “Taco.”

12 Likes

7 Likes

I see it’s no longer possible to change the notification status of a PM

( i.e. “watching,” “tracking,” “normal,” or “muted” )

6 Likes

This sounds odd to me, I am not aware of this change. Notification status changes should certainly be on PMs.

Yikes… you know… once in a while you got to break a few eggs.

The thing is called “sidebar”, you can make it go away (or appear) by clicking the hamburger at the top left.

The concept behind it is that it gives users more power around the way they get to consume sites.

Big topic discussing this change is at:

One of the weaknesses of the new paradigm is that it is “less useful” when a site only has a handful of categories and you don’t need to section it up into many different pieces that are just for you.

BBS only has 7 categories and zero tags. So this power is a bit more hidden.

If we had more structure here (eg: tags for politics, economics, funny, etc.) then maybe it would be a lot more compelling, you would add the sections of BBS that you care the most about into sidebar and have an easy way to get to it. It certainly makes it easier to get to PMs which I guess is a bonus for you.

For those who dislike sidebar you can just click the burger and make it go away.

We are still trying to see how sidebar fits into worlds where there is almost no structure, we are already committed to maintaining a mode where the hamburger can just live where it used to live and pop open a hamburger like the old one, for sites like this.

4 Likes

What about user accessibility to private messages?

Surely that omission wasn’t intentional?

4 Likes

Can you expand on that, maybe with a redacted screenshot or two?

3 Likes

Right now the only way to reach our private messages is by typing in the url manually; there’s no tab, button nor widget, at least not that I can tell.

Also does the new orientation have to be vertical?

5 Likes

Oh you mean this:

3 Likes

So… now messages are under the ungainly hamburger thingy that you just said most of us would make vanish and never use?

Because I still dont see messages under mine:

And you already talked about Categories:

5 Likes

So cereal is soup?

7 Likes

Yikes, something feels off, I will ask someone to have a look.

That certainly makes sidebar less useful to you, for sure. The whole idea is centralizing the interface.

Heavy users of messages will certainly want it on cause it makes it far easier to get to messages and start them.

5 Likes

At a minimum just add all the categories there, it is way better than nothing. Plus you will get unread / new counts.

1 Like