Griping about moderation, bias, et cetera

It’s infuriating, is what it is. Haven’t they failed against hijacking the Back button in this space before?

5 Likes
8 Likes

5 Likes

Flag abuse won’t make me stop commenting; just FYI.

7 Likes

Hell Yeah Reaction GIF by Super Deluxe

8 Likes

This isn’t flag abuse (in that it’s not one or a group of users flagging in a brigade), this is the side-effect of raising flag weights across the board. This means posts will get hidden more often and need moderator action to unhide those posts - users who flag posts that are disagreed with will lose their flag weight quickly, but that can’t happen until they are reviewed. Just turns out a large number of users took issue with the discussion getting heated. These flags were disagreed with and those users will have lower flag weights in the future.

The side-effect of giving the community more power to hide posts quickly is that more posts will be temporarily hidden when users flag for things that aren’t really flaggable. It’s the effect of giving thousands of users more flag weight to shut down bad actors more quickly.

9 Likes

Okay; the timing just seems awfully… coincidental, all things considered.

@gracchus and I were having a rather pointed exchange, but nothing I wrote was actually flaggable from my POV; yet it was still the woman in the conversation was the one who got flagged.

How odd.

10 Likes

I noticed that, too, and I noted it in the admin notes of the users who flagged in case a pattern does emerge.

11 Likes

Wouldn’t it be reasonable to review those flaggers’ posts for sexism? If they flagged @Melizmatic but not @gracchus (not that either deserved flagging) then maybe such a review would be illuminating?

10 Likes

Also, what were those posts flagged as - inappropriate vs. off-topic?

13 Likes

Hopefully, it should go without saying that I have no issue being held to the same standards as all other posters here - if I break the rules, then sure; go ahead and flag my comment.

BUT… if I’m being flagged because someone just doesn’t like me personally? Because they simply don’t want me to have any say? If the see my name and just arbitrarily decide to let the flags fly?

That’s some straight bullshit there, and IMO it’s absolutely rooted in misogynoir.

12 Likes

Excited Lets Go GIF

7 Likes

I see there may have been some house cleaning but I can’t figure out why my post was removed.

I didnt even get a messages telling me it was removed or flagged.

Odd.

5 Likes

If you responded to a chain of responses that tie in with a deleted post, your post becomes part of the cleanup.

9 Likes

Yea, but usually you get a note about it, don’t you?
Mine got swept, too, and I don’t care, I’m glad for the clean up, but I am curious why sometimes I get the, “a post you replied to was removed, so your reply was removed, too,” notification, and sometimes I don’t.
Based on context, I’m guessing when it’s a more limited cleanup we get the note, but when it’s a larger, less precise operation, we don’t.

7 Likes

I wasn’t griping, just curious why no message. Pretty sure it wasn’t flagged but maybe the post I responded to was removed.

Either way on the rare occasion I get a post removed I get a message letting me know.

Like I said, odd no automated message.

4 Likes

Not a problem. :grin: Generally, discussions about moderation drag a thread off-topic, so it seemed wise to move it all to a moderation-based topic. That way, we get a chance to talk about it without it getting removed. :+1:

6 Likes

Wow, that was a big clean up!
I had the same issue with the notification happen to me the other day. I figured it might have been because my post was a reply to a reply of the offending post

5 Likes

The system is imperfect. It’s just as annoying when that happens on the mod side, too (replies get orphaned or otherwise missed, etc.

I complained about it for literally years but I think the bugs in how Discourse handles reply linking are just too deeply entrenched to ever really be fixed now. So it affects a lot of things, including those notifications.

11 Likes

Ugh. So many bugs.

Black And White Art GIF by Doris Wopereis

8 Likes